PATRIS: A unique paddle steamer sunk in 1868 in the Aegean Sea, Greece

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pierre-sifnos

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
It was February 23, 1868. The paddle steamer PATRIS, one of the most modern ships of her time, started her voyage from Piraeus with 400 passengers and crew and full of goods. PATRIS is sailing towards her final destination, the island of Syros, a commercial business centre in the second half of the 19th century. PATRIS was not, however, destined to reach Syros. Due to a navigational error, the proud ship collided with the mapped reef of Koundouros in Kea Island.
2015_Greece_Kea_Patris-00491.jpg2015_Patris-00638.jpg2015_Patris-00547.jpg2015_Patris-00550.jpg
Read the full story and see the magnificent photos shot by Derk Remmers, here:
Pierre Kosmidis ΠιεÏ￾ Κοσμίδης: Paddle steamer PATRIS: Sunk in 1868, a unique shipwreck in the Aegean Sea, Greece

For a wooden ship to be that recognizable in a warm saltwater sea is impressive. The many paddlewheelers here in the Great Lakes are more and less intact depending on depth and circumstances of sinking.

Great story and fantastic photos. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beautiful pics with amazing lighting. Its seems ambient. How deep is she?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

The article states the depth range is 30-55 meters

The article states the depth range is 30-55 meters

Thank you for your kind remarks! The wreck is broken in two parts, the shallow one is at approx. 30 msw and the deep one at around 50 to 55 msw.

Back
Top Bottom