Pattaya Dive Festival Nov. 13-14

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ex-Aquanaut

Contributor
Reaction score
This should have been posted a while back, but there's still time to get in on a great event this coming weekend.

More than 500 scuba divers from Bangkok and Pattaya will hunt for treasure, clean coral reefs and plant new coral during this weekend’s Pattaya Dive Festival.

Sponsored by Aquanauts Dive Centre and Mermaid’s Dive Center in Pattaya as well as four Bangkok scuba shops, the Nov. 13-14 festival is aimed at introducing Bangkok divers to Pattaya’s island dive sites and raising awareness about the importance of marine conservation.

Price is 2,400 for 2 dives, treasure hunt, cleanup and party

More info:
Aquanauts, Mermaids Kick Off Pattaya Dive Festival Saturday | Aquanauts Dive Centre Pattaya Thailand PADI 5-Star CDC Career Development Center Scuba Diving
and
Aquanauts, Mermaids Team Up for Pattaya Dive Festival Nov. 13-14 | Aquanauts Dive Centre Pattaya Thailand PADI 5-Star CDC Career Development Center Scuba Diving

You should never assume. No one is making any money.

This is a strictly non-profit event with no signage or brochures for any of the participating shops allowed.

Just my opinion, but even if some money was being made so what! The price and offering on the day of the event is lower than normally charged prices. Getting divers together to help clean up the environment is a potentially win-win deal. The educational value of seeing what crap is being left in our oceans is invaluable! Families can really do something worthwhile together as divers or snorkelers.

Dive shops are not charities and as such should be expected to make a profit. Keeping them in business in a competitive environment benefits everyone. Donating part of the proceeds and getting people to remove the rubbish is more than what have happened if the event was never proposed. The fact that the dive community is coming together for something good should be applauded. If a reduction in the use of plastic could come out if this, even better (especially in Thailand).

Just my opinion, but even if some money was being made so what! The price and offering on the day of the event is lower than normally charged prices. Getting divers together to help clean up the environment is a potentially win-win deal. The educational value of seeing what crap is being left in our oceans is invaluable! Families can really do something worthwhile together as divers or snorkelers.

Dive shops are not charities and as such should be expected to make a profit. Keeping them in business in a competitive environment benefits everyone. Donating part of the proceeds and getting people to remove the rubbish is more than what have happened if the event was never proposed. The fact that the dive community is coming together for something good should be applauded. If a reduction in the use of plastic could come out if this, even better (especially in Thailand).

Yes I agree entirely, I was on the beach in Jomtien last week and the state of both the beach and the water was absolutely disgusting. I dare say one single event will make very little if any noticeable impact on the ammount of rubbish in the sea, but every little helps and hopefully others may take note of this event and further initiatives will hopefully follow.
If the authorities in Pattaya are really serious about promoting the city as a tourist destination for the future, in my mind they would do well themselves to start with the basics and do something to help clean up the beaches and the sea rather than trying to promote expensive monorail systems within the city which from what I have seen nobody really wants.

This is a strictly non-profit event with no signage or brochures for any of the participating shops allowed.

Is it just yourselves and Mermaids involved with this event?

I wish you all the best and hope it is supported sufficiently to make it a success.

Any chance while your out there you can maintenance the wreck buoys at the same time? Thank for organizing this, I hope this becomes an annual event with most of the shops participating. Maybe next year you can get this posted a little earlier.

Without giving an opinion on whether profit is allowed/good for events like this, at 2400 baht it sounds like profitable.

These events on phuket are foc.

Back
Top Bottom