Pay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Many posts say that DMs make very little. What are some ball park figures? How much for assisting on 2 check out dives? What about a pool session? General pay info.? I know the course content and costs vary widely, but what about the insurance--approximate annual cost?

In my neck of the woods, DM's are not paid. They get free air and a "staff discount" at the LDS, and if they are lucky, tips from the students.

SSI Divecons are allowed to teach certain classes without the supervision of an instructor. Some of these are: Skills Updates (aka refresher course), snorkeling, UW Photography, Fish ID, Boat Diving Specialty and so on... For these the Divecons generally are paid tuition directly by the students. So the enterprising Divecon, volunteers to do OW classes so they can be on the staff and then promote themselves for refresher courses and stuff.

Aloha! It's possible, as a "career employee" at a good dive operation in Hawaii to make around $20,000-$25,000 a year. If you are also an instructor, boat captain, and can work retail...you could make $30,000-$35,000 or more. Do quality underwater videography and make quite a bit more depending on how much of it you are willing to do. I'm sure this varies a lot even here in Hawaii, though. If you are an employee and not an independent contractor, you'll also have medical insurance coverage in Hawaii.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom