Paying g/f's diving trips?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Three words: cost benefit analysis.

Hot girls should not be expected to pay for their own diving. It is like a law or something. If you have a hot girlfriend who dives, just get on your knees and thank God, and stop quibbling over the money. Bankruptcy is all the rage these days anyway.

Three words: cost benefit analysis.

Hot girls should not be expected to pay for their own diving. It is like a law or something. If you have a hot girlfriend who dives, just get on your knees and thank God, and stop quibbling over the money. Bankruptcy is all the rage these days anyway.

I look at it in terms of ROI....return on investment, and paying the extra $80 or so for the dives ain't getting me any "extra" special perks :D

If I'm paying for the diving she better be blowin more than just bubbles. .

Best response ! :D

Do you have any reason to believe she actually expects you to pay for her trips? I've dated women who expected me to pay for dinners, but never one that expected me to pay for her dives. .
I forecast for the worst case scenario...

Tell her exactly what you just told us. If she's worth having around, not only will she understand, but she'll let you go without her when she can't afford it.

If she balks, or sulks, or pulls the passive agressive crap . . well, then you may have discovered a better question then whether or not to pay for her trips . . . .

That is my thought... if she assumes I will be paying and doesn't like it, then it's best I find out now when the "relationship" is fresh... .... I've already indirectly talked about the high cost of diving, ie "it gets really expensive taking the kids, even for oneself, etc.." so, I have planted the seed if by the time we go diving, she hasn't volunteered a promising comment that she agrees to pay her way on the dive.. I don't see it unreasonable, when you figure that a trip diving isn't just diving and I handle all the other costs (ie dinner, etc..).

Sailnaked said "get two jobs"? This is the off topic area, so I presume that's a joke, lol... I am not gonig to be any woman's sugar daddy ...lol

A woman who expects me to pay is not looking for a partnership, she's looking for a sugar daddy. Since I'm a dive bum, I come nowhere close to that. I've dated women who would go out on a second date "just to get another free dinner." They didn't get one. I've dated women who were happy to pay for almost everything (knowing that it cost me a minor fortune just to cross the Channel to the mainland to date them). They had all the dates they wanted... whether they paid or I paid because they were looking for a equal relationships.

Of course I live in the L.A. area so "values" are often warped well beyond anything reasonable and rational.

Looking for a reasonable set of used gear for both of you may the way to get your costs down. This takes a bit of market research to see what older regs and BCs are still serviceable at reasonable rates, and there are always people getting rid of gear. Look at mid quality gear is still in production but 5 to 8 years old. You should be able to get a rig for about 1/4 or less of current retail. Often there is a tank available cheap too in those circumstances. I once bought 3 full sets of gear, less tanks, for $100, including the wetsuits. This provided my wife with her first set, which she dove for about year before we got married.

Many dive clubs also have an annual or Bi-annual swap meet where members and a few shops clear out the closets , which is a diving garage sale from hell. If you need gear, don't miss them. Rental gear is often sold at these.

When I started dating my girlfriend we took up diving together. There were rules laid out immediately. I'm not babysitting her, carrying her ****, etc etc. I don't mind paying SOME of the time but definitely not all the time and it isnt expected. Some times she pays for me even. May sound harsh but I don't think she'd have it any other way. I like women who are independent and self-reliant, they usually make good divers too.

I must say I find this topic and the replies very interesting. I was a single diver for many years before I married and I never expected anyone I was dating to pay for a scuba trip. If I couldn't afford it, I didn't go.
One of my thoughts was always not to date someone unless they have their own gear. And yes, I have all my own gear and I also am able to carry it myself.
All the above made it easier for me to enjoy scuba without more strings attached than the usual dating ones!

A woman who expects me to pay is not looking for a partnership, she's looking for a sugar daddy. Since I'm a dive bum, I come nowhere close to that. I've dated women who would go out on a second date "just to get another free dinner." They didn't get one. I've dated women who were happy to pay for almost everything (knowing that it cost me a minor fortune just to cross the Channel to the mainland to date them). They had all the dates they wanted... whether they paid or I paid because they were looking for a equal relationships.

Of course I live in the L.A. area so "values" are often warped well beyond anything reasonable and rational.
Dr. Bill, I hope you know how many of us out here truly admire you.

I would tell her hey i have some extra cash ill get this trip if you have some extra cash and want to kinda pamper her, but if you dont have the extra cash tell her hey i want to go diving but cash is a little tight can you pay your way. it kinda sucks but if she likes you alot and is into diving she will go either way so she will probably cover her own costs, if she is immature and high maintnance she will probably ditch you. Asfar as trip costs 2 tank dive trip down here is 50-70 bucks not including air so you arnt paying rediculous costs since reg runs 10-15 for rental plus adding air

If I'm paying for the diving she better be blowin more than just bubbles.

this strongly suggests to me not only that you don't have a GF, but that you haven't had one since at least 1922

anyway ...

why not just talk to the girl, explain you want her to come along, but you can't afford to pay for everything, and see if you can come up with a budget so that both of you can contribute enough to make it happen?

if she wants to go, she'll probably be happy to help out

if it doesn't work out this time, you can go alone and make it up to her later doing something she wants to do or letting her go do something with her friends or something

compromise

Back
Top Bottom