PDC bull sharks wiped out.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good luck tomorrow! Is there any hopes for bringing the resorts into play? They too stand to lose bookings - no fish, no divers, no need for rooms!

You know, that is a good suggestion, and I'm going to pass it along. I do know that many of the resorts are run by large chains without head offices here (quite often outside of Mexico, too), so it could take some lead time to get corporate backing on that. But it is an excellent suggestion, and I'll follow it up. Our work will have to continue past tomorrow's meeting - hopefully the large corps could be part of the longer term strategy.

And one last waving of my pom-poms in the air... Sign!! Share!!! Pass it on!!!

Thanks, everybody - 637 sigs, 24 hours to go. PUSH PUSH PUSH!!

Reaching for the Zoloft as I type... although in between snippets of xenophobia and "hey dude, they bite people" there were a few glimmers of hope.

Not a scuba diver in the bunch - I would bet!

It doesn't matter. Scuba divers represent a very tiny portion of the human population. Want to get an idea? The next time you are in an airport, go to any shop that sells magazines. Look at all the various interest areas represented. See how many (if any) represent scuba divers.

The general population of our world, uneducated about any of this and raised on a series of media events like Jaws, doesn't care a but about this. If ever scuba diver in the world raised their voices in fury, as they should, it would be but a tiny tidbit of sound against a sonic wave of prejudice and ignorance.

It doesn't matter. Scuba divers represent a very tiny portion of the human population. Want to get an idea? The next time you are in an airport, go to any shop that sells magazines. Look at all the various interest areas represented. See how many (if any) represent scuba divers.

The general population of our world, uneducated about any of this and raised on a series of media events like Jaws, doesn't care a but about this. If ever scuba diver in the world raised their voices in fury, as they should, it would be but a tiny tidbit of sound against a sonic wave of prejudice and ignorance.

You are absolutely right, boulderjohn. But, that "tiny tidbit of sound" would be music to the ears of a divers. For if the diver, who knows the seas and the beauty they contain, won't fight for them - then who would?

If ever scuba diver in the world raised their voices in fury, as they should, it would be but a tiny tidbit of sound against a sonic wave of prejudice and ignorance.

That is the absolute truth there, well said.

Good morning from Playa - 3 signatures short of 700, and down to the last few hours before tonight's industry/government meeting. So one last push - if you've signed, THANK YOU, and if you haven't, please do!

Cavew0man and her shark friends thank you.

Well, it's Saturday, and it's been a flurry of activity here in PDC and all over the interwebs. First - THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU to everyone who signed the petition and passed it on. Right now, there 477 signatures, from every corner of the globe.

Please keep talking and sharing - "Like" us on Facebook! That's today's version of "and she told two friends, and she told two friends, and so on..."

Now, here's what you can do next. The loudest voice to the local authorities is that of the local business community. A meeting has been arranged by APSA - the Riviera Maya Association of Dive and Water Sport Operators - for next Tuesday at City Hall. The meeting is for dive shop owners. APSA will be visiting local businesses beforehand, but it's pretty short lead time.

So, what can you do? Well, if you have a favorite dive op here in the Riviera Maya, send them the message that you, who's dollars are spent every year here, think that something needs to be done. Point them to APSA and to the Blueheart website.

That's my rambling for Saturday - keep up the good fight!

Here's the resources again:

Facebook - Blue Heart Society | Facebook
Website - www.blueheartsociety.org
Petition - Riviera Maya - Help Save our Marine Ecosystem Petition

Good morning from Playa - 3 signatures short of 700, and down to the last few hours before tonight's industry/government meeting. So one last push - if you've signed, THANK YOU, and if you haven't, please do!

Cavew0man and her shark friends thank you.

Thanks Cavew0man for reminding me what I'm protecting. After viewing this thread multiple times, now I'm #708. Saw the pics on the website and remember being taken aback at seeing menu with shark fin soup. I hope all our baby steps do get us up the mountain, one hell ofa hill to save our oceans.
Sincerest regards,
Aquabear

Back
Top Bottom