PDC bull sharks wiped out.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just posted this on my facebook. Out of 200+ "friends" at least 75% of them are Cozumel divers and many of them are Cozumel Dive masters and instructors. Also sent messages to each asking them to sign the petition, friend the group and hit "share". Good luck. This is truly heartbreaking! BTW, we just jumped from 700 to 720 since it was posted. :D

Good morning from Playa - 3 signatures short of 700, and down to the last few hours before tonight's industry/government meeting. So one last push - if you've signed, THANK YOU, and if you haven't, please do!

Cavew0man and her shark friends thank you.

CavewOman - Please share the results of the meeting! Many thanks.

Hey everybody - Cavew0man hasn't disappeared - just waiting to get a proper debriefing on the meeting to bring you an update. Thanks, and hope to be posting later tonight.

And... your intrepid reporter is back. First - thank you, truly, everyone, for signing and supporting. The petition (and it's still up) now has 906 signatures on it, and we'll leave it open - this ain't gonna be a fast process. (No surprise there).

So - last night a meeting was held at the Municipal Auditorium - the attendance by dive operators was very high, very good, and apparently all was (for the most part) quite civil. The petition (along with another petition by Saving Our Sharks A.C., delineating a requested fishing no-take zone during the shark months) was presented to SAGARPA, and discussion was held about fishing vs. tourism. Apparently quite a number of fishermen also showed up, and were feeling their livelihood being attacked, which did elevate some tempers.

The meeting was also attended by Amigos de Sian Ka'an - Sian Ka'an is the huge natural reserve running from Tulum down towards Chetumal. They also have had requests on the table for ocean management in the area (don't know the details offhand, they may be on the website.)

The combined pressures from all groups have a good chance of resulting in some positive change - SAGARPA has scheduled another meeting for a week from now to respond - so Cavew0man and her amigos are feeling pretty good today. Of course, we know that it's just the start of a process, and bureaucracy is what it is - but the united front and the impressive numbers give us a fighting chance.

So! My personal thoughts - it's been pretty darn cool to see how fast a community can pull together - both the local business community (who have a reputation for NOT working together, at all), and you guys online. I've never involved myself this closely in a cause before, and it makes feel all warm and fuzzy - for today! I'm sure the coming months and years will bring frustration, but for today... Salud! You done good.

Thanks cavew0man

Hopefully this will gain momentum and run it's proper course, but we all must keep this pressure up.

CavewOman has the bit it her teeth and is making a good run. With the right amount of organization and support, this is a fight likely to bear fruit.

When she asks for help, we need to give it to her.

Many thanks to you CavewOman. Meet us at the Tequila Bar at the Royal and we will buy you a drink! We will be there nightly from January 11th til the 18th:D

Back
Top Bottom