pensacola

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pamblam

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Greetings!

I need to visit my family in the Gulf Shores, AL area and would love to do some diving in/near Pensacola while I'm there.

When is a good time to go for diving? I was planning on the end of March but now I'm thinking the water will be too cold...

I would also like to see Manatees.

Thanks for any advice:)

I don't think ANY manatees live around there. I think they're all in South Florida.

What kind of exposure protection do you have? 1mm skin? Drysuit with hood and gloves?

If you want a good operation in Pensacola, I can personally recommend Tim Thorson and Viking Diving. Absolutely professional, 1st class operation.

Viking Diving Home

Give him a call and ask the questions; He's been there long enough to know the answers.

The reports from the gulf sites, in the 80 to 100 ft depth range, have temps in the mid 60s. The marine weather is usually unpredictable this time of year so trips are rare. I would check with Niuhi dive charters and the scuba shack for trips. The shore sites have had temps in the low 50s with the top 10 feet a few degrees colder. There are also the local springs like vortex but it doesn't have a whole lot to see. If your looking for manatees, the best place to go would be crystal river and check out the local shops there.

Late March is going to be 60-65 degrees inshore and off.

Viz is historically bad during this time due to rough seas and runoff from melting snows washing down the Mobile and Mississippi deltas. That said, early spring has had damn good conditions the last two years, so you never know when you'll get lucky.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom