Perdido Jetties 7/23/06

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The ray is the Lesser Electric Ray. Paul Humann says it is "uncommon Florida", "if touched can deliver mild (14 to 37 volt) electric shock".

T'is true, I've had one knock me in the face before :)

I don't know how uncommon they are, I see them all the time.

SuPrBuGmAn:
T'is true, I've had one knock me in the face before :)

I don't know how uncommon they are, I see them all the time.
Never gotten popped by one before.. If I'm going to touch one I get my hand up under them... I think the shocking parts are topside near the eyes.
They may be uncommon in most of Florida, but we have a pretty healthy population of these ocelated ones we call Leopards in the Lower Alabama/Florida panhandle area.
Rick

I had a buddy spook one, it swam swiftly into my face and zapped me before shooting off into the dark(nightdive). No idea which part of it hit me, but I was a bit 'shocked' by the hand I was dealt?!...

*yeah, not funny... I know :p *

Pre Ivan
we use to night dive the beach out in front of the Sea & Suds there by the light house. In font of the restaurant there use to be staggered pillion forms I guess you would call them they extended on out like at one time there was to be a boardwalk. In these holes we use to find plenty of octopus and other sea critters it was pretty common to see these Rays swimming around there also. I never knew about the shock part though I’m glad I never shook their hand and introduced myself to one. Anyone dove there lately? I wonder If Ivan covered them up.

I haven't dove em, one of my buddies dove them regularly a decade ago. He tells me he used to find new pairs of sunglasses, jewelry, ect that the tourists lose :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom