Perdix 2 Temperature Inaccuracy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bengals97

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello All, I just purchased a new Perdix 2 a couple weeks ago. I have done 6 dives with it so far and the bottom temperatures are way off. I have several dives at 60 feet in freshwater rock query that the bottom temp is 56 degrees. Several of my dive buddies registered this temperature on their dive computers which are different brands. We were at that temp for about 10 min. Mine only registers 71 degrees. The surface temp water is about 88 and surface air 100-110 here in Texas. Any ideas why the bottom temps are not accurate but surface temps seem to be. Does it normally take more than 10 min for it to update the proper bottom temp?

Hello All, I just purchased a new Perdix 2 a couple weeks ago. I have done 6 dives with it so far and the bottom temperatures are way off. I have several dives at 60 feet in freshwater rock query that the bottom temp is 56 degrees. Several of my dive buddies registered this temperature on their dive computers which are different brands. We were at that temp for about 10 min. Mine only registers 71 degrees. The surface temp water is about 88 and surface air 100-110 here in Texas. Any ideas why the bottom temps are not accurate but surface temps seem to be. Does it normally take more than 10 min for it to update the proper bottom temp?
Do you have it in a sleeve or case? Is it near a heat source like a light?

Do a test at home with a bowl of cold water and a meat thermometer or the like.

Its starting off so hot (100+F) it's taking a longer time for the mass of metal and plastic to cool down.

I think this is normal; the temp sensor is known to be very slow to react for the reason @rjack321 states. If anything, I think the Perdix 2 is a little quicker than the Perdix 1, maybe due to the metal front. Here's a start of a dive where it goes from 27C/80F at the surface (hot day here! it must have been in the sun a bit) to 12C/53F at the bottom in about 15 minutes.

Screenshot 2023-07-03 at 14.39.27.png

I think this is normal; the temp sensor is known to be very slow to react for the reason @rjack321 states. If anything, I think the Perdix 2 is a little quicker than the Perdix 1, maybe due to the metal front. Here's a start of a dive where it goes from 27C/80F at the surface (hot day here! it must have been in the sun a bit) to 12C/53F at the bottom in about 15 minutes.

View attachment 790738
It looks too me like it was reading correctly at about 5 minutes as it hit 19c. Beyond that it tracked decreasing bottom temps.

Hello All, I just purchased a new Perdix 2 a couple weeks ago. I have done 6 dives with it so far and the bottom temperatures are way off. I have several dives at 60 feet in freshwater rock query that the bottom temp is 56 degrees. Several of my dive buddies registered this temperature on their dive computers which are different brands. We were at that temp for about 10 min. Mine only registers 71 degrees. The surface temp water is about 88 and surface air 100-110 here in Texas.
The Perdix is big and mostly black. It retains heat for a while, so might take a bit longer to register the temp. Still, if you were in 56° water for 10 minutes, I’d expect it to come to the correct temp by then, or at least closer.

I have both a Perdix and a Garmin MK2s. I just took a look at my most recent dives with both. In each, the Perdix started the dive at 6-7° warmer than the Garmin. Perdix cooled down and stabilized by the 7 or 8 minute mark. But, the temp differences between air and water in my case was only about 10-15°, yours was more extreme. It’s starting a lot hotter, but also exposed to much cooler water, so maybe that’s a tossup.

The ice water with a reference thermometer would be a good test. It should read pretty close after about 10 minutes. If still reading high, you might try reaching out to SW.

Do you have it in a sleeve or case? Is it near a heat source like a light?

Do a test at home with a bowl of cold water and a meat thermometer or the like.
Thank you I had not considered the home test. I do have it in a silicon sleeve to protect it. I can do a test with and without to see the difference.

Its starting off so hot (100+F) it's taking a longer time for the mass of metal and plastic to cool down.
I could see that. I am usually in the water surface temp is not in the high 80s for 10-15 min before we descend. So I had not considered it needed more time to cool down than that. Thank you

Thank you I had not considered the home test. I do have it in a silicon sleeve to protect it. I can do a test with and without to see the difference.
drop it in some ice water, (with actual ice cubes in there). That's an easy to verify "known". You can also time how long it takes to get to 32F. Its a big block of plastic which takes awhile to equilibrate.

Back
Top Bottom