Perdix AI Battery Drain Issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmm, I broke my leg and haven't been diving in 3 months. I think i will give my (4) shearwater computers some love and attention today!
The two Petrel's and a Perdix were looking just fine with Energizer Lithiums installed. Each were at 1.6 to 1.7 volts, so over 100% the rated 1.5 volts. The Teric was at 0%. My unit had one of the bad batteries when I bought it, and it's been replaced/serviced twice. It does still drain more than it ought to, maybe 2-3% a day instead of the expected 1% or less. But it powered on when I put it on the charger, so it's probably ok. The heated vest batteries needed a charge too.

I broke my fibula just above the ankle. The bone should be getting near 90% but the soft tissues are still sore and swollen if I use it a lot. PT and exercises have mostly restored my balance and leg strength, but the ankle is still not as strong as the uninjured one.

I plan to go boat diving after Thanksgiving in just about 2 weeks. If that goes well and the doctor clears me, I can try a shore dive (hiking to a beach with >100 pounds of gear) in December or January.

I plan to go boat diving after Thanksgiving in just about 2 weeks. If that goes well and the doctor clears me, I can try a shore dive (hiking to a beach with >100 pounds of gear) in December or January.
You missed out on 6 gill season and crap vis, but back in time for good visibility. Not the worst thing to happen.

I had my Perdix AI drain a new battery after 3 dives during my last trip. Replaced it, and then dove another 27 dives with very little drain. I always pack 3 additional AAs in my kit.

A firmware update may also be needed if you haven't kept up with them. Might help, might not do anything.

Similar. My Perdix AI is from Mar 2018 and has 267 dives on it. I've had zero issues with it. No battery drain whatsoever. This is more the norm. 1400 dives over 6 years on a computer without any maintenance whatsoever is A LOT of use.
OK thanks for that. I'd like to get a decade out of a computer and use it similarly frequently. Do you think I should adjust my expectation?

OK thanks for that. I'd like to get a decade out of a computer and use it similarly frequently. Do you think I should adjust my expectation?
Nope. I feel confident you could easily get a decade or more of good use out of a Shearwater especially if you have the general maintenance done every 3-4 years. I’ve owned 5 Shearwaters, 2 I sold at a nice residual value (both Petrels) and 3 I still own (Peregrine, Perdix AI, & Perdix 2 Ti). I’ve never had a single issue with any of them. You’ll find that customers like me are the norm.

Nope. I feel confident you could easily get a decade or more of good use out of a Shearwater especially if you have the general maintenance done every 3-4 years. I’ve owned 5 Shearwaters, 2 I sold at a nice residual value (both Petrels) and 3 I still own (Peregrine, Perdix AI, & Perdix 2 Ti). I’ve never had a single issue with any of them. You’ll find that customers like me are the norm.
Thanks for that. I might really give Shearwater more consideration for myself since I am coming across this sort of esteem for their products regularly. I'm in the market for a wrist dive computer I can wear all the time as a watch.

Thanks for that. I might really give Shearwater more consideration for myself since I am coming across this sort of esteem for their products regularly. I'm in the market for a wrist dive computer I can wear all the time as a watch.

You might be disappointed by the Teric as a dialy watch, due to battery life, unless you like recharging your watch all the time.
The Tern and TernX may be a bit better in regard for battery life.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom