perforated eardrum; surgery and diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

that sounds good....good luck and make sure you're fully healed so you can enjoy the underwater world with-out further set backs....good luck with your land lubber activities....(smile)

A little update:

2 weeks ago the ENT cleared me for diving and 1 week ago I did a successful dive in a swimming pool.

9 weeks ago the ENT performed a tympanoplasty bc after 3 months the hole in the eardrum was still there. The surgery was painless and took 30 min, I was awake all the time. Straight after that I didn’t feel any difference at all, no pain, no improvement in hearing and still a weird sensation in my ear when I burped or had a hiccup, like the surgery never happened. I found the time after that quite stressful as you cant see if its healing or not and if the graft is still in place.

Now 9 weeks later the hearing is back as good as it always was and I can equalize again. The weird sensation when I burp is still there but getting less intense by the day, I expect that to be gone in a few weeks. The tinnitus is also still there but fading away very very slowly, I expect that to be gone by the end of the year or so.

I have a dive trip booked in 2 weeks to Thailand, hopefully the eardrum will hold up.

Back
Top Bottom