Perth incident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is a PADI FFM course. My friend wrote it and certified me as we were required to have it for work. It's actually pretty comprehensive. I'm not sure if it's a distinctive specialty or not, but I seem to remember that anyone can teach it as long as they're trained on the specific mask they'll be teaching, and have enough dives on one.

Standards require a spare mask and redundant air supply, although I'm not clear whether this requires a true redundant air supply or if an octo would suffice. Drills included remove and replace of the mask, going to octo, going to redundant air, remove and share air both ways, and if the mask has the ability, remove reg from mask and breathe off mask reg. This works for masks that use a p-port connection. Covers the operation and use of the ABV (if fitted) as well as equalizing as it requires some technique.

If you take the course, there's no reason you should have an issue dealing with any emergency where the FFM is a factor. I prefer the Dräger Panorama for the external p-port, the equalizing tabs instead of a nasal block, and the capability to add other stuff through standardized p-ports.

Back to basics:

In my (albeit limited experience) most people learn the skills on OW and then forget them. I know I did

On all Con Ed courses, I go over Mask clear, flood removal, Reg remove and replace, and OOA.

Even when briefed and carrying out the "choreographed" OOA sequence, most are a complete Cluster ****

When we have that squared away...

On OW dives at some point and more than once, I or a pet DM will come at the student, mask off, wide eyed and reg out clawing for air (seriously I need an oscar) Even when we get the reg we don't stop acting and will attempt to kick to the surface. All done in a controlled safe way but to give max realism

During Rescue today, managed to bring me and my 250lb donor to the surface with a few kicks on my crappy fins - only once mind, the next time he figured out how to control me or let me go...

Bad stuff doesn't happen in a nice and controlled way. We must teach it so in OW so people can learn the basic skills. The trouble is, that people don't want to be bothered to keep their skills up to date and when bad stuff happens are completely unprepared.

Last edited:
Bad stuff doesn't happen in a nice and controlled way.

Now aint that the truth!!! Couldn't have expressed it better myself.

About FFM
1. Appropriate equipment for the use of a FFM includes a backup mask.
2. FFM divers tend to have higher air consumption rates (extra space to fill in the mask, continuous flow over the mask surface to prevent fogging) than when using traditional scuba. If you are talking you will use even more air.
3. As described by JohnnyC the training should include removing and replacing the mask and going to an alternate air supply.

In actuality, I think most recreational divers with or without FFM do not practice for OOA emergencies and when it happens it is going to be a problem for them. Add the mask issue and what we see on the video is probably a predictable result for a guy who has not lost control completely.

I am glad they were not hurt more seriously.

In my opinion the best use for FFM is underwater work where communication is important.

I too have had the issue of using more air with the Guardian ots mask ... However I was told there is a way to adjust it inside the 2nd stage ... Does anyone know about this?

Back
Top Bottom