Petrel v. Vyper :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hehe closest smiley I could find :)

That reef dive was honestly the best dive of the week, great diving with as always Wiz! Let's make sure we do that again soon!

Absolutely!
I am still using two 18yrs old Aladin for rec dive.

What's a rec dive?

Bwahahaha... :D :D :D

Hehe closest smiley I could find :)

That reef dive was honestly the best dive of the week, great diving with as always Wiz! Let's make sure we do that again soon!

Sharewater asked me if they could use your NERD picture on their website :thumbs_up:
Yes, that was a great dive... Let me know when you're down here again and I'll try to escape again.

Here is my real life experience with the Suunto after a couple of week long trips to Truk Lagoon where we did lots of days of 4 dives that probably averaged 100 feet. We never felt that the dives became limited except maybe a couple of times. But then again we just hung out on the masks critter watching.

Now recently in Cozumel we did some deeper dives that became a PITA mostly because once we got a deco obligation and came up we were off the reef and blowing in the current. So not really a chance clear while still enjoying the dive. At this point we started comparing my Petrel to the wife's Suunto. On the first dive I would go into deco first, but on the second dive she would hit deco first with a longer deco.

We also started comparing display's and information. The wife really likes the AI aspects of her Suunto - so do I (I used to have Vytec). But I am pretty good with looking at the time and knowing my remaining air. Anywho she decided that the Shearwater display was much easier to read through especially when in deco. She will miss the AI but will be happy with her new Petrel.

For most divers the Suunto will be fine, for those who find it limiting buy different computer.

Seems odd to me to compare the Suunto to the Petrel, since they target different markets. I'm aware the Petrel can be used for recreational diving, but it mainly targets (and is designed for) the technical diving market.

It seems to me the criticism against Suunto conservatism comes from 2 directions:

1.) People who want every last minute of bottom time available to them, and who resent unnecessary reductions in NDL, even if these are usually minor if present.

2.) People who expect to dive with others (e.g.: guides, buddies) who diving more liberal computers, such as Oceanics. In theory, if the Suunto diver's computer says he's got maybe 2 minutes of NDL left, and the Oceanic buddy's says he's got 17 minutes (using Scubadada's 81 vs. 69 minute example at 50 feet; lets say this pair are diving steel 120's so they've got a lot of gas and can stay down a long time), in theory the Oceanic buddy is supposed to cheerfully abort his dive early with no hard feelings since the Suunto buddy is running out. Or, maybe he'll abort the dive, but resent his expensive vacation diving being cut short due to 'that Suunto user.' Or, less likely but possible, he may just wave 'Bye' to the Suunto user and swim off...

I think those are the 2 scenarios that lead to Suunto criticism; maximizing bottom time and buddy incompatibility.

Richard.

Seems odd to me to compare the Suunto to the Petrel, since they target different markets. I'm aware the Petrel can be used for recreational diving, but it mainly targets (and is designed for) the technical diving market.

I never intended this to become a feature comparison of the two brands, as that would not make any sense. Rather, I intended to compare actual bottom times allowed between a well-liked computer and one that isn't.

It seems to me the criticism against Suunto conservatism comes from 2 directions:
1.) People who want every last minute of bottom time available to them, and who resent unnecessary reductions in NDL, even if these are usually minor if present.

Herein lies my issue with most of this type of criticism:
1. If you are not "flying" your computer waiting for it to tell you when it's time to go up wouldn't you know before hand what your NDL is?
2. If you feel it is an unnecessary reduction and you have the gas to extend the dive what is stoping you?

2.) ...In theory, if the Suunto diver's computer says he's got maybe 2 minutes of NDL left, and the Oceanic buddy's says he's got 17 minutes (using Scubadada's 81 vs. 69 minute example at 50 feet; lets say this pair are diving steel 120's so they've got a lot of gas and can stay down a long time), in theory the Oceanic buddy is supposed to cheerfully abort his dive early with no hard feelings since the Suunto buddy is running out. Or, maybe he'll abort the dive, but resent his expensive vacation diving being cut short due to 'that Suunto user.' Or, less likely but possible, he may just wave 'Bye' to the Suunto user and swim off...

This illustrates my point perfectly, If you know those differences going into the dive and have plenty of gas to complete the dive:
Is the only factor stopping the diver the brand of computer they have on their wrist?
Would having a computer that said it's okay to stay another 12 minutes or less (Not 17 minutes :)) make it all of the sudden ok to complete it?

If the answer is yes then... "Huston we have a problem!"

My point is people aren't planning their dives and diving their plans, rather they want to strap on a computer and jump in the water. Once they are at the bottom and find out they have different BTs they do not know what to do.
It's much easier to blame the gear than address the lack of knowledge.

Now, if you're buying your first computer and your buddies all have brand x it makes perfect sense to buy brand x. But, recommending they stay away from brand y because of a perceived limitation is pointless to me.

I have no affiliation with Suunto or a dive shop, it's just slow at work :)

LowVizWiz:

1. If you are not "flying" your computer waiting for it to tell you when it's time to go up wouldn't you know before hand what your NDL is?

No. A lot of people doing multi-level reef dives don't know exactly what depth they'll hit max., or on average, though they likely have a max. depth in mind, and dive till they run low on gas, NDL or things to see, or get cold or bored.

2. If you feel it is an unnecessary reduction and you have the gas to extend the dive what is stoping you?

If you violate your computer's NDL, you go into deco. The large majority of rec. divers aren't deco. training, and aren't advised to deliberately go into deco. with just a plan to ride a computer. And on a charter, if you get caught going into deco., they might just sit you out for the day from what I understand.

This illustrates my point perfectly, If you know those differences going into the dive and have plenty of gas to complete the dive:
Is the only factor stopping the diver the brand of computer they have on their wrist?
Would having a computer that said it's okay to stay another 12 minutes or less (Not 17 minutes
icosm14.gif
) make it all of the sudden ok to complete it?
They don't know the exact differences going into the water, and based on others' reports, issues like rate of ascent and surface interval impact the NDLs in a way that most divers on a boat can't predict in advance. So you can't just say an Oceanic gives x more bottom time than a Suunto. Therefore, you can't plan precisely in advance.

Yes, having the computer that says another 12 minutes is okay makes it okay, at least for most, since that's a model that works well in the real world (where a lot of people dive Oceanics), and it doesn't put you in deco., lock you out, or trigger boat staff to bench you for the day.

My point is people aren't planning their dives and diving their plans, rather they want to strap on a computer and jump in the water. Once they are at the bottom and find out they have different BTs they do not know what to do.
It's much easier to blame the gear than address the lack of knowledge.

Diving to near NDL, or low gas, a given turn pressure, a duration (e.g.: 1 hour dive) or 'Eh, I've had enough' may just be the plan, and adequate for some common recreational diving.

Let's take live-aboard example. You may not know exactly what site conditions will make optimal, or just how deep you'll decide to go, and if the captain says be back in an hour, you may not want to be back in 55 minutes.

Yes, a person with enough knowledge and seasoned experience could work around the issue of mixed computer diving, but it's easier to avoid bring a more conservative computer into the mix. More practical for a low of divers.

And for the diving a lot of people do, it works fine.

Rather, I intended to compare actual bottom times allowed between a well-liked computer and one that isn't.

I see your point. From what I'm told, technical divers are not likely to 'ride' their computers' NDL output on loosely structured exploration dives on coral reefs, and can set their Petrel to the kind of dive they intend to do (assuming they're not running it in gauge mode and diving tables cut with VPlanner maybe?). Most Suunto owners are doing rec. dives, trust the computer's advice on NDL, and make out fine doing it that way. It's just than an Oceanic offers more bottom time via a liberal algorithm and people also seem to make out fine with that.

I'm not saying Oceanics are 'better' than Suunto, since there are more factors that weigh into the desirability of a given computer. But all other things being equal, I think most divers would consider more bottom time better than less, if people diving with 'more' in wide-spread real world diving aren't getting bent more.

Richard.

Back
Top Bottom