Phase I: Guinness Record

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jamiei once bubbled...
Lake Keowee, the lake in question... is directly below Lake Jocassee in the northwest corner of SC... far from Columbia. It's between the towns of Salem and Seneca, SC.

Whoops. My bad. I was thinking that Keowee was up there near Irmo... Not far from Murky.

14 days? 105 hours is just over 4 days... 14 days in saltwater or not is quite a goal to set for yourself. You mentioned tv's and such down there... whats up with that? How many phases are there? I think phase one needs to be the only thing in your mind at this point. I think that much time in saltwater would possibly dehydrate a person if anything. Since you've communicated with Guiness, what are the parameters/rules for such a dive?

Well, most of your questions have been addressed already in this thread, but just to recap:

The 14 day dive is a confined water dive, not open water. Think saltwater aquarium, with a controllable environment. It's not open ocean, and isn't comparable with what was done Thursday in Keowee. The salinity and temperature, as well as other parameters, are closely monitored and controlled. To date, this record stands at just under nine days.

Yes, the plan is to have electronics equipment down there... Actually, on the other side of the "aquarium window." The only part that's tough is getting the controls on "my side," which hasn't been difficult to address. Frankly, battling boredom is a significant part of the challenge.

There's 15 Phases to this plan, with a world record being challenged at Phase 5, Phase 10, and Phase 15. Phase 5 is the 14 day dive - effectively the first challenge. Phases 1-4 are "practices" and lead up to Phase 5, which is really a preparation for Phase 10 and 15. All of this is done in Phases in order to learn prior to each challenge. For clarity, Phase 5 will challenge the world record for "Longest SCUBA Submergence - Controlled Environment." Phase 10 will challenge the world record for "Longest SCUBA Submergence - Open Water" (what was done at Keowee) and Phase 15 will be an underwater distance record (too soon to tell yet the official name).

You're right about a couple of things... Phase 1 is my biggest focus at this point, which is actually done with an eye on Phase 5. Phases 6 and up have not yet entered into the equation, other than the fact that Phase 5 is actually a preparation for Phase 10. Phase 1 will be a 24 hour dive in a controlled, saltwater environment, and I will test all facilities that will be utilized in the Phase 5 dive. Phase 2 will be a duplicate of Phase 1, and Phase 3 will stretch the time to 48 hours. Phase 4 will stretch the time to 72 hours, and of course, Phase 5 will stretch it to 14 days. There's been a ton of research done to ensure the success of Phase 5, but we fully expect to discover problems in Phases 1-4 and learn to solve them before Phase 5.

Another thing you're right about is the saltwater thing, and dehydration. Frankly, the saltwater environment is what really makes this approach to the records unique - to my knowledge, nobody has taken this approach before. Interestingly, we suspect that while dehydration will be an issue, the actual skin - the dermis - will actually be superhydrated, making for a unique medical condition which has it's own advantages and disadvantages in the dives. There's also the issue of hypersalinization, or the body's tendency to take on salts and minerals from the surrounding environment.

We've taken steps to meet the challenges of these issues... But expect that not all issues have yet been resolved. This is why Phases 1-4 are so important.

Interestingly, we feel that while freshwater immersion could have it's advantages and disadvantages, Phase 15 will no doubt be done in salt water. Thus, embracing the salt water environment early on is paramount, whether it's advantageous or not.

Here's the information you're looking for from Guinness...

"Dear Mr Bayne

Thank you for your enquiry regarding your intention to break the record for 'Longest SCUBA submergence - controlled environment'.

I have enclosed our recommended guidelines for 'Longest SCUBA submergence - controlled environment', which should provide you with all the details you require to make your attempt. You should ensure that all those participating are aware of the contents of these guidelines, and your attention is drawn to the authentication we require when you come to make your claim.

Our standard agreement form for record attempts is also enclosed and must be signed by yourself and any other individual who may contribute material as evidence (e.g. photos/videos). This must be returned with the above documentation in order for us to consider your claim.

Once the record has been attempted and you have compiled your claim and completed the standard record agreement form, they should be sent to us here at: GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS, 338 EUSTON ROAD, LONDON NW1 3BD, ENGLAND

The current record is:
The continuous duration record (i.e. no rest breaks) for scuba (i.e. self-contained underwater breathing apparatus, used without surface air hoses) is 212 hr. 30 min., by Michael Stevens of Birmingham in a Royal Navy tank at the National Exhibition Centre, Birmingham, England from February 14-23, 1986.

However, you may wish to check with us again closer to submitting your full claim to be sure that a new record has not been set in the interim.

If you should require any further information, please do let us know, otherwise we hope that the event goes well and look forward to hearing the results.

Yours sincerely,

Amanda Sprague
Records Research Services"

And of course, the actual parameters of the dive:

"LONGEST SCUBA SUBMERGENCE –
CONTROLLED ENVIRONMENT
The following act as a guide to the specific considerations
and undertakings, in addition to the general requirements,
for any potential attempt on record title record. They should
be read and understood by all concerned – organisers,
participants and witnesses – prior to the event.

RULES
This record is for spending the greatest amount of time submerged using SCUBA gear in a controlled environment.
1. A controlled environment is defined as any man-made body of water, in which the water environment is manipulated to any degree. Swimming pools, diving tanks, ponds, aquaria, etc. whether indoors or out of doors, fall within this definition.
2. At no time during the record attempt may the diver (or any part of the diver’s body or equipment) break the surface of the water.
3. Only self-contained underwater breathing apparatus (SCUBA) without any kind of physical connection to the surface is allowed. Dry suits are permitted.
4. The diver must be supported by a support crew. There are no restrictions on the size of this crew.
5. When the divers scuba tanks are empty, the support crew may provide full scuba tanks or can refill the tanks being used by the diver at that time."

Simple, eh? Lol...

SeaJay once bubbled...
Man, that's funny.
When the suit is to be removed, I'll enter a sort of underwater latrine (for privacy) and inflate my wing and stick it to the ceiling. Then the wetsuit will be removed, and I'll be inside, basically naked, with my gear stuck to the ceiling and dangling my regs in my face. Number one and number two will both be performed sitting, probably with a couple of weights sitting on my lap to ensure that I'm negative

OMFG!!!!! THAT IS NOT DIR!!!!!!

I expect you you be horizontal and neutral when going to the toilet! certainly not vertical and negative.

here endeth the lesson

Better contact JJ or George on the proper techniques for 'dropping the kids off at the pool' underwater. Once the kids are released you might have to add some weight to offset the lost weight.

If all else fails....WARHAMMER!!!!

..I just got off the phone with GI3 and JJ... After some deliberation over Kool-Aid, they both agreed that dropping the kids off was fine, so long as I did so in a planned and horizontal condition.

:D

don't forget to record the logs in your log. Include the depth, number, temperature, colour, viz conditions and any tools or devices used and have it witnessed and signed by another diver.Do this while it's fresh in your mind, logging logs will help you to improve technique and help you 'work it out' in the future when you are having difficulities.

a helpful tip from dive nurse ratchid

Oh what the hell, a little purple Kool-Aid never hurt anyone. Either you trust in the GI or you don’t. And this from an Irvinian disciple that doth protest the record for intrauniversal liquid immersion endurance. Sad, sad, and sad I say unto you if thou lacks ability to please thy master.

Thou hast been partaking of another ale besides Kool-Aid. :D

"Yeah, forsooth forthwith with which to wit." :D (Say that a hundred times and ask me again.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom