Trip Report Philippines Siren 11D/10N Visayas & Malapascua route

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jjmochi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Long overdue!

Pictures here: Visayas & Malapascua (Aug 2022)

This was my second trip on the Philippine Siren after a great Tubbataha experience in end of March/beginning of April. Crew/service was 11/10 on that trip. Diving was maybe 8-9/10 since we fully missed out on the whale sharks but the walls were pristine.

They had a 40% off promotion so I rebooked the Visayas/Malapascua itinerary as it was much easier than island hopping by land. It was $2200pp w free nitro (+$155 park fees + a last minute +$150 fuel surcharge). So more expensive than a land-based trip but I think not by much, and much less headache.

This was a trip at the beginning of Aug and their last trip before going into dry dock. So sadly a lot of things were broken (fridge door would not stay closed, TV (where they show the dive map for briefings) died halfway)

My last trip to Tubbataha was cruise director Jona's last trip, and I met interim cruise director Amy (who is normally cruise director on the Indo Siren) at the end for the handover. My trip this time was coincidentally Amy's last trip on the Philippines Siren before she returns to the Indo Siren for the Banda crossings & Raja Ampat season. (We had a long discussion on her favourite place to dive and her vote is for Raja by a mile, some of the Raja videos she showed us was mind blowing)

Service this time was not quite as good - maybe 6-7/10. The crew tried their best but everyone was tired and (I think) overworked and (not their fault) SICK. There were a few safety incidents that I was not happy about which I will get into later.
Food was great as always - lots, good variety, and healthy. And an actual cappuccino every morning!
The average age of the guests this time was 65+, I was the youngest one at 30, my roommate + her friend were in their early 40s, and everyone else was retired 65-80.
A couple of the older guests were sick coming into the cruise (coughing heavily) but no one wore masks. Well no surprise a few days into the trip EVERYONE got sick - guests & crew. Luckily my roommate was a pharmacist and kept me de-congested and I powered through - us three were the only ones that did all 32 dives, everyone else did maybe 1-2 a day.

Diving wise I would say it's 10/10 for variety and maybe 7-8/10 overall.
The itinerary had 32 dives over 9 diving days. Most days were 4x a day (dives capped at 60min). We covered a lot!
1667090912147.png

Cabilao and Panglao I felt was just ok, decent reefs and macro but not amazing. Good easy check dives.

Balicasag had pretty good reefs, not as many turtles as I was led to expect, but still great WA dives. Apo was better.

Oslob dive was one of the two highlights for me - so many whalesharks (10+)! I think the snorkel would have been even better as they are all gathered at the surface being fed (as divers we cannot go above 5m). I had mixed feelings going into this but Amy said the sharks are free to leave anytime and this is just a small fraction of their diet so only the juveniles really stay for a few days before moving on.

Dauin muck diving was awesome - I just wish we did more. We did not hit a lot of the sites listed on their itinerary. We (us 3 youngsters) requested one full day in Dauin (vs Apo) but the other guests did not like muck (most could not see the tiny stuff). Saw my first starry night octopus.

Apo Island was also great - but one day would have been enough for me. We did 6 dives including some repeats on 2 days - 2nd day felt repetitive. Best reefs of the trip but not quite as good as Indo (Komodo, Bangka) - was not wow! for me after Tubbataha and Bangka.

Moalboal sardine dive was the other highlight - this is something really cool!

Pescador was sadly still destroyed because of the typhoon, and pretty disappointing.

In Malapascua we sadly had no luck with the threshers - the Siren makes 2 days of 5am thresher dives and we missed out both days. Amy said this has never happened before. I was in Malapascua pre COVID and saw them twice on a 4 day trip. If this is your main goal I think a longer land-based stay is better.
Mandarin fish night dive (Lighthouse) where 4 years ago you are almost guaranteed to see mating mandarin fish is no more.

Gato & Chocolate island had the colorful soft corals I remember but not as much macro as I remember. There was also one MACRO dive in a RAGING current where they said they could not switch sites because it's too far to go back to Malapascua - that was not fun and the second wasted dive of the trip.

Capitancillo had decent macro - saw my first candy crab. So pretty!

Now on the not so good:
Of the 3 original awesome dive guides from my last trip - Donato, Kenneth, and Jona - only Donato was around and well enough to dive. Kenneth I was told is on break. These guys have been guiding these waters for 10+ years.
There was a new guide James who was sick from the very beginning and I think made maybe 5 dives on the whole trip. On one dive he took us down to 25m and left me and another guest (smoker with poor air consumption) ~10min into a dive signalling we should continue the dive but he has to surface. Visibility was poor and he did not tell us where to go - we were supposed to shallow up to a wall but we never found the wall. Another 20min in (during which we tried in vain to look for the wall and saw nothing) the other guest signals he was at 60 bar and we need to surface - he did not have an SMB so I had to go up as well. A completely wasted dive for me but one that my roommate (who was w Donato) said was great and they saw a ton of cool critters.
Amy was good for the first half but halfway through got so sick she could barely dive or even give briefings.
On one night dive there were only 4 guests and 2 guides - yet somehow 3 of the guests got lost 10min into the dive and both guides stuck with me with no attempt to go back and look for the others? IMO one should have gone back to look for the others.
The incoming cruise directors Roy and Maggie just arrived from the Maldives - this was their first trip on this itinerary. I think they were meant to learn the dive sites on this trip but because everyone was sick they had to lead dives by themselves - sites that they have never dived before! Groups that went w Roy and Maggie often got lost and saw much less than what Donato's group saw. This caused some drama amongst the guests. I kept getting moved around from group to group because another guest did not want to dive with Roy & Maggie - this left a bad taste and halfway through I just said nope. (That lady is blacklisted from the Siren fleet because of a whole host of other complaints).

If you want to dive this area I think doing it on the Siren is a great EASY way to do it. But it didn't quite stack up to the quality of diving I saw a month later in Komodo, so I don't think I will be making a return trip. It was fun but at full price not really value for money.

Thanks for the trip report! This itinerary is on my to do list. I greatly prefer liveaboard diving but with poor trip reports from the Siren and the Philippines Aggressor is there even a high quality liveaboard left in that area??

(That lady is blacklisted from the Siren fleet because of a whole host of other complaints).
I would love to hear more about this! I can't even imagine what someone would have to do to get blacklisted from a whole fleet.

Thanks for the thoughtful, detailed trip report. I have a few follow up questions.

1.) You mentioned making a Komodo trip. In terms of total trip costs and travel time, how would you compare the cost of the Komodo trip to this Philippine Siren trip? Did you do a liveaboard for your Komodo trip? You mentioned a 40% off promotion on your Philippines trip, so that's important to keep in mind.

I ask because the Philippines by reputation (from what I gather from ScubaBoard) are seen as cheaper with shorter travel times at a modest hit in dive quality (note: that's the impression I got from reading, not looking to start a fight!). It'd be interesting to better understand the tradeoffs vs. a Komodo or Raja Ampat trip.

2.) With all those sick people, somebody's gotta ask...any idea whether anybody did a home COVID-19 test on the trip? Granted, if I were on the trip, I'd rather they didn't, because it could lead to being stuck in the Philippines past planned trip duration (never mind whether they'd let customers known to be COVID-19 + dive). But it's a question that has to be asked.

3.) Why a drysuit? What water temp.s?

4.) Did you dive nitrox?

5.) You mention most dives it was 4 dives/day, and you said 'night dive' at some point. Was the 4th dive in a typical day a night dive? A 'real' night dive, or an evening dive?

Richard.

P.S.: Like the whale shark shots! I've never seen one in person.

I am in Bohol atm and we saw several turtles on one dive site at Balicasag. Saw more at Doljo today. Off to Balicasag tomorrow where we will do all three dives at the island there. Often first dive is on the way to the island. But due to storm tomorrow we just stay at the island. We also had a whale shark at the island last Sunday 23 October.

Stunning photos and thanks for the report! Is the Indo Siren the same boat as the Philippines Siren, just in a different location, or are they 2 different boats?

Thanks for the trip report! This itinerary is on my to do list. I greatly prefer liveaboard diving but with poor trip reports from the Siren and the Philippines Aggressor is there even a high quality liveaboard left in that area??

I would love to hear more about this! I can't even imagine what someone would have to do to get blacklisted from a whole fleet.
Atlantis Azores? Was well run (as anything Atlantis tends to be) when we did Tubbataha on it They have a few different itineraries.

I met someone on a liveaboard once who I can imagine getting banned from a whole fleet. Their pièce de résistance was to threaten all guests (post trip through the company) to sue anyone who posted about their exploits on social media. So a story I only tell in person over apres dive beverages.

She had a lot of requests that made the rest of us go WTF. And apparently was writing to the head office daily with a long list of complaints. She was also really rude to the crew and made one of the new CDs cry. My roommate said she saw her throw another guests' wetsuit on the ground so she can hang up hers. She also hated photographers so did not say one word to me or my roommate. The head office actually wrote to me afterwards apologising for her.

She was also on my Komodo trip (I couldn't believe it) but she was a lot more normal on that trip, although still didn't say a word to me or my husband lol, which was completely fine by me.

Thanks for the thoughtful, detailed trip report. I have a few follow up questions.

1.) You mentioned making a Komodo trip. In terms of total trip costs and travel time, how would you compare the cost of the Komodo trip to this Philippine Siren trip? Did you do a liveaboard for your Komodo trip? You mentioned a 40% off promotion on your Philippines trip, so that's important to keep in mind.

I ask because the Philippines by reputation (from what I gather from ScubaBoard) are seen as cheaper with shorter travel times at a modest hit in dive quality (note: that's the impression I got from reading, not looking to start a fight!). It'd be interesting to better understand the tradeoffs vs. a Komodo or Raja Ampat trip.

2.) With all those sick people, somebody's gotta ask...any idea whether anybody did a home COVID-19 test on the trip? Granted, if I were on the trip, I'd rather they didn't, because it could lead to being stuck in the Philippines past planned trip duration (never mind whether they'd let customers known to be COVID-19 + dive). But it's a question that has to be asked.

3.) Why a drysuit? What water temp.s?

4.) Did you dive nitrox?

5.) You mention most dives it was 4 dives/day, and you said 'night dive' at some point. Was the 4th dive in a typical day a night dive? A 'real' night dive, or an evening dive?

Richard.

P.S.: Like the whale shark shots! I've never seen one in person.
1) Komodo was more expensive. We did Mermaid I liveaboard from Bail to Komodo and back, was 9D/8N and supposed to be 28 dives but we only did 25 - altho all day dives were 75min vs 60. Komodo was EUR3600 (we got 10% off for booking during covid) + 225 park/port fees + 130 for nitrox pp. Travel time from SG was 2.5h flight to Bali (many directs for super cheap) and 4h flight to Cebu if you can find a direct (one SG Air per day on the return, but had to take a 1 stop through Manila going there). From SG Philippines is harder to get to vs Indo, but when I was in HK Cebu was an easy 3hr direct flight away with many options / day and cheap too. From US I imagine it is similar as you can either transit through SG or HK.

2) I did when I got back - was negative for 5 days straight. It took going to the doctor for antibiotics for me to recover so I don't think it's covid.

3) That was prep for Komodo - I just bought one and got certified and the instructor said I should practice as much as I can in the drysuit since Komodo can have some crazy currents. I was actually fine and prefer diving dry even in 29 degrees - there were a few night dives where I was super glad I had a drysuit. I dove 3mm wet in Tubbataha and was cold after 3-4 days.

4) Yup

5) 4th dive was a night dive, usually in ~6.30pm

Whale sharks are my favourite, especially when they come close to check you out!

Stunning photos and thanks for the report! Is the Indo Siren the same boat as the Philippines Siren, just in a different location, or are they 2 different boats?
They have 3 sister boats built exactly the same - one in Philippines, one in Indonesia, and one in Palau.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom