Phone calls from beneath the sea bring science alive in the classroom

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jviehe

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
http://www.mountainear.com/news/newsstories/03FACF4B9.nclk

By Gabrielle Griswold
Thursday, December 11, 2003

WHAT IS life like under the sea? To most of us, it’s a mystery. But to 5th- and 6th-grade students at Conway’s Pine Tree Elementary School it’s a subject of some familiarity and deep (if we may be permitted the pun) fascination.
Out of 600 applicant schools from across the country, Pine Tree was one of 12 schools selected to join in a Deep Sea Conference (based on an Extreme 2003 curriculum “Depths of Discovery” program), held nationwide Dec. 9 with all 12 schools participating. Locally, the day-long event was hosted by The Echo Group Technology Center in Conway.

The high point of the event, which included educational workshops, presentations and student displays, featured live conference calls received from Research Vessel “Atlantis,“ operational center for the submersible “Alvin” from which Robert Ballard found the “Titanic,” and from the “Alvin” itself.

During the interval between 1:30 and 2:45 p.m. EST, one student from each school was invited to ask a single question of University of Delaware scientists on board each vessel, starting with the “Atlantis,” which later piped calls through to the “Alvin.” At that time the “Atlantis” was located 12 miles off the coast of Costa Rica, while the “Alvin” hovered above a hydrothermal vent site 1.5 miles down on the floor of the Pacific Ocean. (The home port of both vessels is Woods Hole in Falmouth, Mass.)

Oceanography students in Christa Biché’s science classes listened spellbound as one student each from Arizona, California, Delaware, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Oklahoma, Oregon, Rhode Island, Washington D.C. and Wisconsin asked questions of the “Atlantis.” When, in alphabetical order, it came New Hampshire’s turn, 6th-grader Jenna Cairns queried, “How much food, fresh water and fuel are needed for an extended research cruise?” and received a very complete answer. Jenna was chosen by a panel of eight local judges for the scientific knowledge, enthusiasm and communication skills she displayed in a qualifying essay competition.

All the questions to and answers from the “Atlantis” could be clearly heard and understood over Echo loudspeakers, and their information assimilated. Later communication with the “Alvin” was unsatisfactory, audible but incessantly interrupted by staccato beeps and silences so that no clear information could be received from it — until the lines cleared in time for Jenna to ask “How do animals establish themselves at a new hydrothermal vent site?,” and again receive a complete answer. (In both instances, the questions were composed by Pine Tree 5th-graders.)

Throughout the afternoon conference call portion of the day’s events, a (taped, not live) video, produced by the University of Delaware, visually and through captioning described the marine environment and conditions in which “Atlantis” and “Alvin” oceanographers and marine biologists operate.

How it came about

The morning portion of the program, which began at 11:30 a.m., included a series of three different workshops, all of which groups of students attended by rotating between them.

A master diver and marine researcher herself, Christa Biché began her workshops by involving students in identifying the physical characteristics that adapt marine animals to their natural environment. Leading from that, she explained that for humans to adapt to the same environment, which is not theirs by nature, special gear is needed. She then described how self-contained underwater breathing apparatus (SCUBA) and other underwater equipment works.

Selecting a willing student to model some of the equipment, she demonstrated the specific uses of goggles, snorkels, wet suits, dry suits, hoods, mitts, flippers, high-pressure air tanks with their hoses, and computerized instrumentation for ascertaining direction, water depth, time spent underwater, and amount of air remaining in the tank, and more.

For example, she explained, “The deeper you go, the more air you need. Also, the bigger you are or the more nervous you are, the more air you use up.”

She also described differences in temperature and equipment as between diving in Florida and the Gulf of Maine.

In another workshop Christa’s husband, Rick Biché, presented a slide show of the time he spent living in the Aquarius Habitat, an air-locked habitat that sits beneath 40 feet of water, and described what it is like to live underwater for 10 days.

Meanwhile, at stations set up throughout the Echo Technology Center, a range of exhibits displayed features of marine life such as live crabs, seaweeds, shells, and more.

At one station, Wendy Ryan-Beagan, a docent from the University of New Hampshire’s Sea Grant Program, demonstrated some of the life forms that live in New Hampshire’s marine environment, including kelp, which may serve as a breeding bed for snail eggs. She also discussed how marine biologists and oceanographers sample the ocean’s depths.

Sharon Meeker, another Sea Grant Program volunteer manned a station displaying shells, rocks and other specimens.

Elsewhere in the Technology Center, student displays featured a Deep Ocean mural and individual exhibits on subjects such as, among others, bioluminescence, the nature of a hydrothermal vent, how a bathyscaphe works, and how the “Alvin” works.

Pine Tree students have been involved in this curriculum for the past two years that Biché has been teaching science at their school.

“I’ve taught this subject for four years,” she said, “here and previously in California, and each year I’ve had to write an essay on how the school can benefit from being selected. This year, they chose us!”

“I think,” she added, “that the kids truly began to think of themselves as real scientists through the process of this conference. They’re knowledgeable, questioning and curious, and that interaction was the most powerful aspect of the day’s events.”

The entire Deep Sea Conference project was sponsored by the University of Delaware College of Marine Studies with support from the National Science Foundation.

Cool stuff. Wish I coulda participated in this as a kid.

Hell, I wish I could participate in it now!

Good to see that they are starting to get them interested in stuff like that at a younger age.
This is kinda similar to how I learned how to dive.
It was a school biology trip and in order to go you needed to get certified. So the year before about 30 of us went and got certified as part of an after school activity - it lasted about 4-6 weeks. Then our cert dives were done in Toby. The following year off we went to Jamaica to learn/observe reefs, coral damage from natural and unnatural causes, and the animals in and around the reefs.

Definately the best school trip I ever went on!!!

I was lucky enough to see Bob Ballard speak in person about this program. His whole presentation was fascinating, but one of his main points about the science program in the schools is that you need to get kids interested in science before junior high school. He felt that it is too late for some after that. Obviously there are exceptions, but he felt a lot more girls would be science majors if they had an exciting program in elementary school.

I think his program is excellent, those kids will remember it all their lives! I echo that I wish I had something like that when I was a kid...

peace,

sapphire :)

Back
Top Bottom