Photography workshop?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FedeQ

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi, is there a photography workshop or classes available in Cozumel? I know the basics, it would be have to cover more than that.
Thanks in advance.

There is several who can help you with that. Blue H2o can help with photo/video. You can also check with Pepe at Ocean Nomads, Miguel at H2o Cozumel, Guy at Liquid Motion Academy. Lots of choices, depends what you would like to achieve.
That is great to know, I've just moved into the island and want to become a better photographer, (and videographer) I have a small setup, upgrading soon to something better, and I want to do the best training i can get my hand on. I don't want to turn photography into a business, but short of that I want o be able to capture great photographs to do a book, enter some contests, etc. Thank you for the info.

There are a few underwater photography instruction books you can get on Amazon also. Alex Mustard has Underwater Photography Masterclass and I think Tobias Friedrich has Underwater photography. Also when Alex Mustard couldn’t dive during the pandemic he started doing videos with Adam Hanlon at Wetpixel. They probably have 50-100 out on the web (think YouTube ).

Rob Stansfield at Cozumel Blackwater is essentially a professional photographer at this point I believe so it might be good to touch base with him.

As JFS mentioned , spending a lot of time in the water helps. Tikila beach is probably the best place for shore dives but there are others. Be very careful with the boat traffic there when shallower than 15 feet or so.

There are a few underwater photography instruction books you can get on Amazon also. Alex Mustard has Underwater Photography Masterclass and I think Tobias Friedrich has Underwater photography. Also when Alex Mustard couldn’t dive during the pandemic he started doing videos with Adam Hanlon at Wetpixel. They probably have 50-100 out on the web (think YouTube ).

Rob Stansfield at Cozumel Blackwater is essentially a professional photographer at this point I believe so it might be good to touch base with him.

As JFS mentioned , spending a lot of time in the water helps. Tikila beach is probably the best place for shore dives but there are others. Be very careful with the boat traffic there when shallower than 15 feet or so.
Thank you, this is all very helpful !!

Yes, I'm familiar with Tikila and Sunset, I was snorkeling around Corona / Skyreef and near Barefoot, I was thinking it could be a nice playground for photos. Any other specific place you can think of?

I'll contact Rob for sure.

Get in the water as much as you can and practice. try different settings. Learn programs like photoshop, lightroom, adobe premierre, davinci resolve.....Go to sunset bar or tekila bar and go from shore. spend lots of time in the water.
I don't see my reply here so I'll reiterate.
Thanks for your comment, I'm already going to Tikila/Sunset, and I'm already an expert on everything post/color/retouch/edit, I'm just adapting it to my underwater needs.
I need to get better at taking the actual photographs, especially the lighting part. And also get to know the animal behaviors.

Thank you, this is all very helpful !!

Yes, I'm familiar with Tikila and Sunset, I was snorkeling around Corona / Skyreef and near Barefoot, I was thinking it could be a nice playground for photos. Any other specific place you can think of?

I'll contact Rob for sure.
I think a couple of years ago there was someone running an underwater scavenger hunt near Hemingway’s. I have heard a few people mention interesting marine life to see there but I have never done it myself. Boat traffic obviously an issue there also . The north in general is under-appreciated but don’t get too far from shore (we lost a board member there a few years ago that was using a scooter and just disappeared).

Many years ago I think people used to shore dive at Chankanaab down south , but that was a long long time ago. Who knows if that is still possible and what it would cost (though if you have local residency might not be too bad ).

Link to scavenger hunt I mentioned—Haven’t heard much from these guys lately but then I again I haven’t been around many places where I would hear something

[ScubaHunt Cozumel | Underwater Scavenger Game]

I think a couple of years ago there was someone running an underwater scavenger hunt near Hemingway’s. I have heard a few people mention interesting marine life to see there but I have never done it myself. Boat traffic obviously an issue there also . The north in general is under-appreciated but don’t get too far from shore (we lost a board member there a few years ago that was using a scooter and just disappeared).

Many years ago I think people used to shore dive at Chankanaab down south , but that was a long long time ago. Who knows if that is still possible and what it would cost (though if you have local residency might not be too bad ).

Link to scavenger hunt I mentioned—Haven’t heard much from these guys lately but then I again I haven’t been around many places where I would hear something

[ScubaHunt Cozumel | Underwater Scavenger Game]
I heard that you could pay those guys to take you to Barquitos and back, current could be a issue, i don't know.

I heard that you could pay those guys to take you to Barquitos and back, current could be an issue, i don't know.
Barquitos is fairly good diving , but that wasn’t the diving I had heard of via word of mouth. Used to see batfish there quite a bit. Current usually runs south there as too probably know

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom