Photos from PNG

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dggirl:
hey parabolic i really like your pictures they're amazing! please give some tips on how to take shots like your's? thanks!!!

dggirl:
How to take good underwater photographs:
1) Have good diving skills
2) Use good photographic equipment and take LOTS of photos
3) Go to locations with great subjects and find them (or have someone find them for you :D )
4) When you find a good subject, stay with it and take lots of frames (u/w photography is a very low batting average endeavor)
5) Try to change something on every frame (angle, composition, exposure - you don't want to end up with 50 identical disappointing images)
6) Be lucky

Thanks for your kind words.

parabolic, that link is the most intriguing one I have ever seen. I want to go so badly. Doug thanks for the hotel/ liveaboard idea and link......I need to get this trip on the callendar. parabolic, the perspective of the native shots is so interesting....is that the 10.5 lense? I love the way those people on the first page look..... also, is your avatar 10.5? The angle looks so wide, yet I am not seeing the usual distortion, why is that???

Your description of some of the primatives found there are making me crazy....can you recommend a good book on PNG art? or should I just google it? got any pictures of any of this art, or did I miss them?

Could you or Doug give me a "ball park figure" on this trip for say...two weeks?

I love your whale page!! funny, another place I have always wanted to go is Loreto.

catherine
Thanks for your kind words, you are very flattering. None of the images on the PNG pages on my website were made with a digital camera, that came later. The topside images were made with a Nikon F5, probably with a Nikon 24-120 zoom which was my workhorse topside lens for a long time. The underwater images were all made with a Nikonos RS, almost all of the wideangle stuff was most likely with the 13mm fisheye, including my avatar. The Nikonos RS 13mm is a fisheye but it seems to have less corner distortion than any other fisheye I have used. I have only been using digital underwater for about a year and the 10.5mm is a recent addition (which so far I like a lot). I have some tedious details about my change from film to digital at http://www.kenbondy.com/digital.htm.

There is an EXCELLENT book on PNG art, softbound, "The Artifacts and Crafts of Papua New Guinea", ISBN 9980-85-011-6, South China Printing Company, 1988. I got it there, it may be available from Amazon. There may be more now, try googling "PNG Art". The country also has a nice website, there is probably some information on their art there.

Loreto is a delightful place, still a real Mexican town with great people and great whales!! One of the most reliable places in the world to see blue whales, they are there right now. See it soon, it is getting developed rapidly.

Regards,

++Ken++

I would like to know what camera setup you have also! Awesome pictures! Please post more!!!

Much thanks for all the info. Will get the book, plan the trip. The 13 mm you used is very pleasing to me....

Enjoyed looking at all your shots....you have a very joyful looking family!
those PNG natives grouped together on that page really blew my mind. hope you post more often.

WOW on the topside pictures also! Love the flowers!

those people give new meaning to exotic.

arenny

Thanks for the nice words. The photos I posted were made with a Fuji S2 Pro in a Subal housing with 2 Sea and Sea YS90-DX strobes and Nikon lenses 10.5, 60 and 105mm lenses.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom