Photos from Saturday's (10/11) dive on Maui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gilligan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Today's dive was on a sunken World War II LVT-4 Tracked Landing Vehicle at 60 feet in the Makena area of South Maui. The wreck is in fairly good shape considering it has been down since the mid 1940's.
Photo 1 is of the vehicle.
Photo 2 is a small Moray Eel inside some of the hardware on the vehicle.
Photo 3 is a large Moray Eel under the vehicle with a Banded Coral Shrimp nearby. There is a Clear Cleaner Shrimp on the eel's chin than I didn't notice until I viewed the photo at home.
Photo 4 is a Whitetip Reef Shark circling the vehicle.

I love the Moray Eel in the pipe! I miss your pop up info, though. I've gotten sort of used to checking your exposures. :D

Thanks for sharing.....is the WWII vehicle accessible via shore or do you NEED a kayak?

Aloha Otter & TedJ,
I consider that WWII wreck to be a boat/kayak dive. It is quite a distance from shore to qualify as a shore dive, especially if there is a strong current as was the case on this dive.
That said, I have seen "local boy" free divers swim out to it on the surface then dive on it for fish. I was scuba diving on it one time and a local boy free diver dropped down and sat on the bottom for a bit and gave me the "shaka" sign.
I am one of those people that equates being on the surface in the open ocean the same as being "bait".
Thanks TedJ for the compliment on my site.

:shades:

Great eel shots. You took me to this site in your inflatable in '97; when we got there, there was the biggest turtle I'd ever seen laying inside. If I ever find my prints from the MX-10 I'd rented, I'll scan and send your way. I recall a lot of backscatter, but maybe you can clean them up.
Keep on postin'

Back
Top Bottom