Physical requirements of various training agencies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

40Fathoms

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hoping that the Scubaboard community can help me out here. In a recent diving class, we came to discuss the physical (fitness) requirements of various diving agencies, in particular CMAS, PADI and GUE/DIR, can does anyone know them? Love it if there are links to the place on their sites (or elsewhere) where it is stated.

The closest I find to a physical fitness requirement is the 13 METS suggested in the medical guidelines used by PADI and, as far as I know, by other RSTC members.
See: http://www.wrstc.com/downloads/10 - Medical Guidelines.pdf
(on page 3 under Cardiovascular Systems)

I have no information about CMAS or GUE.

Beside minimum age stated for courses, a medical form filled and, if applicable, signed by a physician stating that individual is apt for diving and watermanship standards (float/swim), there are no other physically related requirements (including fitness) stated in the PADI instructor's guide.

Besides what has been mentioned by RTee, all agencies will ask the student a certain amount of meters swam in free style and breast stroke without touching the pool borders or, in case of open waters, a distance in a certain amount of time. It depends on the environment where the course is given and the Instructor.

Thanks for the info, guys. Does anyone know the exact requirements, as in, how far are you supposed to swim, for how long should you tread water, etc, for each of the agencies mentioned?

For NAUI it is:

student shall complete at least 15 continuous stroke cycles while being evaluated by an instructor. A stroke cycle is considered to be either arm or leg action, or a combination thereof resulting in forward movement until repeated.

survival swim for 10 minutes
underwater swim 50 feet on one breath with no push off or dive.

These are the minimum for NAUI, YMMV. I still use the 200 yard swim instead of the 15 continuous strokes.

For the PADI Open Water course it’s:
swim 200 metres/yards (or 300 metres/yards in mask, fins and snorkel). There is no time limit for this, and you may use any swimming strokes you want.

float and tread water for 10 minutes, again using any methods that you want.

Reference:
http://www.padi.com/scuba/scuba-diving-guide/start-scuba-diving/scuba-certification-faq/default.aspx

To me that’s technique, not fitness.

note: SDI's watermanship requirements are essentially identical to PADI's, as are probably the other RSTC members (IDEA, PDIC, SSI, ACUC, ... )

GUE requires the student at the recreational or Fundamentals level to be able to swim 300 yard in under 14 minutes, and do a 16 yard breath-hold swim. At the Cave 1 or T1 level, the requirement increases to 400 yards in under 14 minutes, and a 20 yard breath-hold swim. At C2 or T2, it's 500 yards and a 20 meter breath-hold swim. Instructors must be able to swim 600 yards in under 14 minutes, and do a 70 foot breath-hold swim.

Thanks everyone. Really, really helpful.

Back
Top Bottom