Physics Rant: The Truth to Buoyancy in Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For simplicity, we will define Gravity as the 'downward' magnetic pull of the Earth on any object with Mass (ie, how much something weighs).

Forgive me for being picky, but since this thread is all about being picky, I have to point out that gravitational force has nothing to do with magnetic force.

Forgive me for being picky, but since this thread is all about being picky, I have to point out that gravitational force has nothing to do with magnetic force.
Picky? Not nearly. Picky would be insisting that gravity is not a force at all . . . :D

Einstein's theory gave a correct prediction for the perihelion shift of Mercury. It also explained why objects fall independent of their mass: they all follow the same straightest possible line in curved space-time. Finally, in Einstein's theory the instantaneous gravitational force is replaced by the curvature of spacetime. Moving a mass causes ripples to form in this curvature, and these ripples travel with the same speed as light. Thus, a distant mass would not feel any instantaneous change in the gravitational force, and special relativity is not violated. [from material at the Univ. of Winnipeg web site]​
No, I'm not an astrophysicist, but I did read "Goodnight Moon" to my granddaughter last night.

-Bryan

Nerds dive?? Who knew???

They do? This is all I see.

Propeller-Cap1-S4.95.jpg

Hey, your physics are pretty good on thos one, with one exception: Gravity. You define gravity as "the 'downward' magnetic pull of the Earth on any object with Mass." While gravitational pull is exerted on any object with mass, it is certainly not a MAGNETIC pull. Gravity is the natural force of attraction between any two objects which have mass. A magnet has the property of attracting certain substances, such as iron. Magnetism describes that attraction.

I do, however, appreciate your descriptions of buoyancy. It is 100% true that an object cannot be "negatively buoyant."

And then, of course, there are those who say that there is no such thing as gravity; the earth just sucks.

Back
Top Bottom