Pic of me and my dinner companion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

100days-a-year of course I am not condemning and I wanted this to be obvious in my post... and I am happy it was !

From what I read you are a responsible hobbyist and not someone that kills everything and anything no matter if it is eatable or not or what its size or age...

That way I can really and honestly accept your sport...

I guess my post and my ideas are affected by the vast majority of fish hunters that I know, that they are iresponsible and kill whatever they find ! I hope that I know the wrong ones and that the majority is like you...

Enjoy your sport...

Manogr

Help me out folks...a Cobia (oviously a fish ) belongs to what family ?? and is the one in the pic a usual size ?? extremely large ?? (seems like it from the comments of those in the know)

Help out us non knowing folks ...thanks

Butch,Cobia belong to Order Perciformes Family Rachycentridae.They are distributed in the Atlantic &Gulf/Carribean.They are big,dumb and slow.Extremely strong fighters eating mostly invertabrates .They are tasty with a firm texture similar to pork.No fishy smell to the meat.They often school around wrecks and offshore structure,also around pilings and bouys.They are most famous for a relationship with rays Southern and Manta .As the rays migrate the coastal waters the cobia move with them eating forage the rays spook.The average size here is 35-50 lbs large to 75 and record is about 125.I watched my buddy being drug around by a 50lber last month.He'd shot it and couldn't pull himself up the line to dispatch the fish soon enough.The cobia swam wioth him for 3-5 minutes.He weighs 240 and had lp120x2 on and the cobia drug him fast enough to flail him around .Quite a sight.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom