Picatinny Rail Flash Light Quick Disconnect for Speargun

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Would love to know if anyone has tried this while lineshafting. I am really wanting to try this but since I don't freeshaft very often it may not be beneficial.

I have not tried this specific mount on a line shaft but I have tried a similar mount. Your light shouldn't interfere with the line or shaft. I know it might seem like it would but I have not had a problem. With hogs and gags closed, I might be doing a little more line shafting.

How much spearfishing in Chattanooga?

I have not tried this specific mount on a line shaft but I have tried a similar mount. Your light shouldn't interfere with the line or shaft. I know it might seem like it would but I have not had a problem. With hogs and gags closed, I might be doing a little more line shafting.

How much spearfishing in Chattanooga?
It definitely seems like it would. I have been trying since I came across this thread to come up with a solution that didn't require permanent modification to the gun. I may have found it. This little gem just came in the mail today. I haven't attached it yet but I will try to get it attached tonight. It is just slightly bigger than the kill spike so I may have to modify this piece or maybe add some sort of spacer

No spearfishing in Chattanooga haha. We always go to the gulf.

Attachments

• 20231101_203126.jpg
    20231101_203126.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 37
Update:

This thing is awesome! So far at least. I will go back and trim the bolts down shorter. I wish my light was just a little bit shorter so it didn't render my kill spike basically useless. I am hoping to be able to get an adapter and attach my gopro to this section of rail. I slid a piece of latex tubing over the kill spike to take up the gap. It seems to be plenty secure. If you really wanted to twist the light you probably could, but for regular activity I don't see it going anywhere. If this works out long term I will get a quick release scope mount so I can quickly remove the light if I want to.

Attachments

• 20231101_211247.jpg
    20231101_211247.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 38
  • 20231101_211253.jpg
    20231101_211253.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 41
  • 20231101_211259.jpg
    20231101_211259.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 36
  • 20231101_211406.jpg
    20231101_211406.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 36
Anyone ever add a picatinny rail to their speargun?
I have not, however as somewhat of a gun-nerd, I have considered using a picatinny mounting system for a forearm "gauntlet" of sorts, made from a 3-inch PVC pipe, cut in half, and melted to fit. I'd use the picatinny to hold various items like flashlights, dive-computers, knives and other devices.

The other mount I'm considering is the typical "Go Pro" mount system. My concern there is mostly around durability, given I have broken a GoPro style mount before and the only reason I didn't lose the camera, is because I was paranoid and also tied a string to the item.

Anyway, since this is about spear-guns, I'd probably go with picatinny.

If you need a quick, inexpensive, and secure solution, you could also use stainless steel hose-clamps. Put a piece of cloth between the hose-clamp and the flashlight or spear-gun if you're concerned about scratches. You can also use stainless-steel zip-ties. I'd recommend getting the stainless-steel-zip-tie-tool if you go that route, it saves a TON of effort, although you technically can secure those ss-zip-ties without the tool. The hose-clamps would have the advantage of being able to unscrew/re-screw them as needed, whereas you'd have to cut the ss-zip-ties, which is slightly more work. The ss-zip-ties are about $10 per 100 ties.

I have not, however as somewhat of a gun-nerd, I have considered using a picatinny mounting system for a forearm "gauntlet" of sorts, made from a 3-inch PVC pipe, cut in half, and melted to fit. I'd use the picatinny to hold various items like flashlights, dive-computers, knives and other devices.

The other mount I'm considering is the typical "Go Pro" mount system. My concern there is mostly around durability, given I have broken a GoPro style mount before and the only reason I didn't lose the camera, is because I was paranoid and also tied a string to the item.

Anyway, since this is about spear-guns, I'd probably go with picatinny.

If you need a quick, inexpensive, and secure solution, you could also use stainless steel hose-clamps. Put a piece of cloth between the hose-clamp and the flashlight or spear-gun if you're concerned about scratches. You can also use stainless-steel zip-ties. I'd recommend getting the stainless-steel-zip-tie-tool if you go that route, it saves a TON of effort, although you technically can secure those ss-zip-ties without the tool. The hose-clamps would have the advantage of being able to unscrew/re-screw them as needed, whereas you'd have to cut the ss-zip-ties, which is slightly more work. The ss-zip-ties are about $10 per 100 ties.
I have thought about the gopro mount as well but I had the same concern. If I'm not mistaken Koah uses that on the front of some of their guns. Pretty sure I have saw a light that would clip into a gopro mount.

I was so close to actually using hose clamps.

I actually reached out to ocean rhino about making a one off or changing their design to incorporate the pic rail into the bottom of the muzzle. They thought that anything mounted there would just get in the way. The main issue is that it costs thousands to change a mold I would assume. Several employees seemed to really like the idea but the owner felt otherwise sadly.

Several employees seemed to really like the idea but the owner felt otherwise sadly.
The cost of adding a picatinny would, in theory, be quite small depending on how it's done. They might have a (temporary) market advantage as the only spear-gun with a picatinny rail.

You'd only need 2 (or more) screw holes, and then a standard picatinny rail with screw-holes. Some picatinny rails already have screw-holes, or are designed to work with M-LOK or MOE. Aftermarket (third party) picatinny rails are available for various firearms, such as shotguns. For the most part, these rails are very inexpensive.

Anyway, the cheap way to do it as a manufacturer, is to just add 2 threaded screw holes to the item, and then manufacture a standard picatinny rail.

---

As far as DIY, drilling holes in rails is quite doable. Polymer rails being the easiest to drill. Aluminum rails would take a little more time, but is still well within what can be accomplished with a normal electric drill and a few drill-bits. (Ideally, you'd use a drill-press, but that's not that necessary).

That simply leaves screw-attachments on the spear-gun itself. I don't have one of these spear-guns in-hand, but that may be as simple as drilling a couple holes, and perhaps tapping (depending on screw-type).

(I also see two screws holding a small black piece on the side of the spear-gun photographed.)

Pretty sure I have saw a light that would clip into a gopro mount.
There may be light-clips. If not....

Something I've done before is taken a clamp designed for attaching a go-pro to bicycle/motorcycle handle-bars, and modified that to hold a flashlight. If I remember correctly, you have to trim off one of the 3 "pivot posts" and maybe shave a little bit of plastic. Basically converting it from a "3-fork" to a "2 fork", which fits inside the "3 forks." (Maybe if I can find it, and take a photo, it'll be better than my description) If the opening is too big for the flashlight, you can stuff some cloth in there.

The cost of adding a picatinny would, in theory, be quite small depending on how it's done. They might have a (temporary) market advantage as the only spear-gun with a picatinny rail.
My thoughts exactly! If Ocean Rhino made a muzzle with a rail integrated I would jump on it immediately.

My biggest hold back is that area of the muzzle is pretty thin. If I like having the rail on there I will definitely try to mount a rail directly to the bottom of the muzzle like OP shows.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom