Pictures from Jackson Blue Saturday, February 6

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GLENFWB

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Headed to Marianna, Florida yesterday to do some cave diving with Denise. Conditions in Marianna were colder then the forecast called for. The sun hid behind some thick clouds, and the wind made things pretty chilly at times...especially for those who were crazy enough to be diving wet.:D

I met Denise at Cave Adventurers. Ed helped me get my Nomad side mount rig fixed. My wing had become twisted and I was having trouble getting the air to dump out of it. After taking all the stuff off my belt...TWICE...I finally got it all put back together. it worked MUCH better on my dives that day.

The wind has pushed the grass up against the diving platform over the JB cavern. The area where we usually gear up was covered with grass. We had to gear up and enter from the other side that was protected from the wind. It was an overcast day which made for some dull pictures.

basin.jpg

jbbasin.jpg

Since most caves are blown out right now across the state....Jackson Blue was pretty busy this Saturday.
busyjb.jpg

Ed told us that morning, that Friday evening Jackson Blue was also blown out. While gearing up, Denise and I spoke with divers who were in the cave when the viz went to zero. It is assumed that the heavy rains penetrated the cave somewhere upstream. The divers told us they had to exit on the line yesterday. Denise and I were relieved to see that the flowing coming out of JB on Saturday was hazy and had some particulate, but was almost back to normal.

Denise and I made two dives. Both dives were fairly typical. On the first dive, I ran the reel in the cavern with Denise following. The flow is getting stronger then it has been for the last couple of months. We made our way to the gold line where I tied the reel in. We made our way back to the big rock and air pocket just before the chimney. After Denise gave me the okay, we headed down the chimney. On both dives we took our time and made it back to the first breakdown around 400p. We turned the dive and enjoyed a nice ride back out of the cave. I think I only kicked a few times on our way back out of the cave and cavern. We left the reel in for our second dive.

On the second dive I brought my camera and snapped a few pictures:

denisebeforedive2.jpg

There is just something I like about black and white photos....looks like Denise is floating on the moon.
deniseblackandwhite.jpg

denisebasin.jpg

deniselightbasin.jpg

deniseupclose.jpg

denisereel2.jpg

Rob Diveaholic had a cavern class at JB Saturday. I will post some pictures from his class in the next message.

classfish2.jpg

Rob had a cavern class at JB on Saturday. After Denise and I finished our second dive, I stayed in the water and took some pictures of the class doing line drills in the basin. After the drills Rob took the class in the cavern. I had enough gas to make a cavern dive, so I zipped in the cavern ahead of the class so I could get some pictures. Because of the milky water and particulate, it was impossible to get decent pictures from a distance. Because there were so many divers with lights in the cavern, I was able to get some decent video that I will try and post later. Here are some pictures from the basin and cavern entrance.

I always have to throw a few over/under pictures in the mix.

overunderagain.jpg

overunder.jpg

robclasspostdive2.jpg

robdrills.jpg

linedrill.jpg

classairshare.jpg

classoverunder.jpg

The fish are still still packed in the entrance to the cavern....the water coming out of the cave is warmer then the water in the basin.
fishcavern.jpg

jamesbrim.jpg

robandclass.jpg

not usually a big fan of B&W underwater pics, but I like that one a bunch :thumbs_up:

I have to agree with you on that.

Glen, great picture. You probably need to charge Denise for that one :D.

I do love that pic Glen!! Thanks!!
In some of the pics it looks like I am level and in others it looks like my knees are still a bit low. Those may have happened when I was looking up. You side mount guru's, what do you think?

Thanks for the report Glen, pics are great too, especially the B&W!

Great report and pics Glen. Hate I had to miss it, next time I plan on being there.

Glen, beautiful photographs! The black and white one has a very serene quality to it, but I really love the over/under shots -- the contrast of the mirror-like water surface, and the busy scene beneath it is just wonderful. Thank you for putting these up, and I don't think you for making me very cave-sick . . .

The air temp was 50* with the wind blowing and the sky was overcast. The 68* water felt warm and inviting.

Air temp might have been 50 degrees for you dry suit divers...but I think it was closer to 45 degrees for wet suit divers!:D Sure glad I had my propane heater....of course even some divers in dry suits came by to warm their hands up.

The air temp was 50* with the wind blowing and the sky was overcast. The 68* water felt warm and inviting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom