piece of junk

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fred you're honestly the only diver I know with three SOS meters. You're also the only diver I know that is older and ornier than Ricky Murchison.

It's been a long time old friend.

Actually - I have one to run a close second with Fred's three SOS meters. My friend in St Petersburg Florida has an operational Hans Hess Decobrain. I thought the Edge was bad having to change a nine volt battery every 48 hours. The Decobrain ran through six D cells a day. At least the SOS meter didn't use batteries.

Nemrod:
Anything made by--er--gag--gag--cough---gag---vomit--gag--Tusa. Oh, and might I add the previous fad in fins--VENT and any vented fin. Splits are the current fad, between splits and vents, I take the splits. Why put a huge hole in your fin? No one has ever prooven a benefit of vents, their just pure styling. The new ScubaPro vented Split---now that is covering all bases--does that come with any springs or valves to increase torque? N
Wow, I have seen 2 posts in a row where you bang on TUSA and then bang on vent fins with nothing to backup your claims. Pure Opinion on your part.
Fact is the vent style fins are in testing to show they get some of the best overall ratings and "gas mileage" available compared to other styles.
Aeris Velocity
the Vent style fin listed below scored better than all of the other spit fin styles it was tested against. Is a better choice than the splits? Not necessiarly, thats user preference but it's stats,show differently than what you claim. You should look into learning a bit about hydrodynamics because the small vents in the middle of the fin do not hurt performance in any way, in eddition it actually helps out in may areas.
The ScubaPro your talking about (the Twin Speed model) scored lower than the model listed below also.
Aeris Velocity
http://www.scubadiving.com/gear/fins/light_speed/0/
scubadiving.com:
While not the fastest on the straightaways or the fleetest on the slalom course, the Velocity leads the pack in real-world diving performance. This small and lightweight fin seems to offer everything, from above-average blue-water kicking power to excellent stability to an effective nonskid sole. It is even easy to put on and take off.

The fin is designed with "power-enhancing vents," a series of holes in a flexible panel that runs down the center of the blade. During the fin stroke, water flow is directed through these holes, which helps to reduce stress on legs while accelerating water over the blade. This results in a fin that requires so little effort it sometimes doesn't seem like it's doing much, but in fact it's moving you right along.

TESTER COMMENTS: "The Venus Williams of full-foot fins."--Polly Shaw "Very fast, nice fit ... two thumbs up." --Erin Rechisky "Speed and power with little stress ... a great fin." --Jeff Lovin "Great control, great speed." --Cathy Hamilton

The classic SP Jets are vented. I wouldn't trade them for any other fin on the market, old or new.

mempilot:
The classic SP Jets are vented. I wouldn't trade them for any other fin on the market, old or new.

I hear that! I'm a relatively new diver but I love my jets :07: Even better with my FredT spring straps! I hate retractors though, someone in Dutch springs must have found my expensive Suunto SK-7 compass by now.......

"Wow, I have seen 2 posts in a row where you bang on TUSA and then bang on vent fins with nothing to backup your claims. Pure Opinion on your part.
Fact is the vent style fins are in testing to show they get some of the best overall ratings and "gas mileage" available compared to other styles."

Yep, these threads are as much opinion as anything and those are my opinions. Please support your "facts". Rather than me prove a negative the ball is in your court to prove a positive by providing a factual artical with real test data proving otherwise, if not then my opinion remains as it is.
As to Jets having vents and being good fins, yes and yes and my point is they would be perhaps better without. As to the rest, like I said, it was clear to me this thread was asking for opinion, those are mine, if you don't like them I am sorry.

"the Vent style fin listed below scored better than all of the other spit fin styles it was tested against. Is a better choice than the splits? Not necessiarly, thats user preference but it's stats,show differently than what you claim. You should look into learning a bit about hydrodynamics because the small vents in the middle of the fin do not hurt performance in any way, in eddition it actually helps out in may areas. "

This "test" was not a test, it is simply another antedotal opinion in yet another paid for advertising article the dive industry is famous for. There is no actual collected data using any engineering or scientific sampling methods or standards.There is simply opinion and therefore my opinion is as valid. As to my hydrodynamic engineering expertise (what is yours?) maybe not water but air is a fluid as well. Until they put fins on an instrumented test dummy in a tank of water--a hydro tunnel--and measure force, speed, thrust, calories in and thrust out etc then it is just baloney, baloney or at best educated opinion. Hey, don't "bust" on me, prove me wrong and if you do--great. N

Okay, I reviewed the original post and my first post and it was asked what are the things we love to hate. I will stick with the choices I made, I hate Tusa equipment in general and I think splits and vents are styling exercises so I hate them as well as they represent to me the apogee of advertizing/gimmick driven design, all this despite that Tusa occasionally markets a piece of decent gear or that several fins including Jets and Apollo are very, very good despite the vents and splits and holes and whatnot. Clearly a question seeking personal opinion. I did not attack your opinion, I simply gave mine as asked for. N

My supposedly semi dry snorkel. The flexible portion of the snorkel is too long and consequently has this habit of tilting downwards or to the side when i'm snorkelling or during my surface swim. So I occasionally get nice mouthfuls of water instead of air. :(.
Sometimes simpler is better, I'll get a simple snorkel next time.

Oceanics “Lite Vision” masks (a light that doubles as a mask)…please...makes about as much sense as split fins (got a pair of scissors?)...and if you were diving back in the eighties: that crappy neon yellow, pink, green, orange and red ensemble everyone was getting into. Divers were more colorful than a reef full of fish.

How about the SCUDA (Self-Contained Underwater Drinking Apparatus)?? There was also a tube containing ping-pong balls that you released to judge your ascent rate. Completely leaving current and Boyle's law (flat balls at 60 feet) out of the picture you released a ball at depth and followed it up.

Back
Top Bottom