Pinnacle Freedom 2 durability

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eellenoff

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was looking at picking up a Freedom 2 (first time new drysuit purchase, upgrading from a 7mm neoprene not-so-drysuit), but wanted to solicit opinions from anyone who's using one. How's it holding up? The Evolution 2's seem to be rock solid, but without the Cordova, is the freedom 2's likely to leave me wishing I'd picked up something heavier duty? Anything that you wish you'd known about the suit before ordering it?

Thanks,
-Eric

Eric,

I've had mine for about a year and a half now. I only have about 40 dives on it but it seems pretty tough to me. The seals are thicker than most I've seen. I've traveled with it to Monterey and typically dive quarries and lakes with the usual junk in them that you tend to brush up against and I haven't poked any holes in it. Does diving Monastery mean crawling out on your hands and knees? (I haven't been there yet.) That sounds tough on any suit.

I saw someone comment on your other thread about a poorly placed valve being hard to vent. I have no idea where that's coming from because mine vents beautifully.

LP has pretty good prices on them but you should call for their best deal.

I called LP today. They don't have anymore Freedom 2 for that great price and they don't know when they'll get some in. Brett then recommended the Evo 2 -- the same drysuit he purchased recently. It's a higher price point and if you add a bit more, you can get a Bare Trilam HD front entry drysuit.

The Freedom 2 is a no frills drysuit that has all the bells and whistles as higher end drysuits. You can't go wrong with that drysuit with the price LP is selling it for. I would have bought the Freedom 2 today if they had it in stock ready to be shipped.

Eric,

Freedom 2 is a great suit, especially for the price. Currently, Dive Right in Scuba is selling Evolution 2 for $1199. I'm actually getting better deal at my LDS, but even at $1199 with all the stuff included (hood, suspenders, bag, choice of boots/socks), it's only ~$400 more than Freedom 2. It's much more of a suit and they are in stock currently. I ordered mine in Large Short last week and it's arriving this week (FL->WA).

Szymon

If crawling should be necessary, or brushing against rusted metal, you cannot really go wrong with it's elder sibling, Evo 2. It really holds itself well no matter what you throw at it. Didn't try with a flamethrower yet though... :wink:

I have a buddy who dives a freedom 2 and with over a hundred dives on it he has had no problems.

I have a Evo 2 and I'm quite happy with the ruggedness. I'm not very gentle with it.

I am not so patiently waiting for my Freedom 2 to come in. Could you all give progress reports on the durability of the suit to date? I guess it doesn't matter as the money is spent, but you answers would feed my knowledge lust right now. TIA.

Back
Top Bottom