Places to stay for large groups

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reviews are trending down
Down for food, up for dive op (toucan divers). Also up for wifi - they are putting individual routers in every room... I think the Plaza is a good choice for large groups where food is not the top priority.

Down for food, up for dive op (toucan divers). Also up for wifi - they are putting individual routers in every room... I think the Plaza is a good choice for large groups where food is not the top priority.

I waas there the last week of July 17 and I found the food to be pretty good for a AI with buffet style meals. They also opened a AI-inclusive bar/snack shop next to the dive shop that has snacks throughout the day, great for that snack pre or post-dive. There were enough options to please everyone in our group. They are also supposed to be getting a new chef soon, to update the menu. As a group we got exceptional treatment from Quincy as our server and our own table setup. The dive op was awesome as well. AI can be very nice for large groups, reducing arguments/discussions over where to eat that night, who is cooking that night, etc. The Plaza was a good option for the 3 non-divers we had in our 15 person group, as they had more beach and other activities to do around the resort, while the rest of us were out diving.

Re The Plaza, Aviyes, we were there in May as with the past 10 Mays :wink: I believe this is the 3rd year since they went AI. Food took a major step down IMO. IN the past they always had "live" cooking options, not just the steam tables. This year everything on the steam tables was overly cooked and sauced. Their "chef" is clueless. Glad to hear a new one is coming soon. We certainly let it be known that our group would not be returning if the food stayed at this level. They were testing the snack bar next to the dive shop. Glad to hear that is AI as well! Anyway, its not all about the food is it? :) Agree, it can be a very good option for groups.

We love Sand Dollar Condominiums. Very spacious condos - many have been recently renovated and they are all oceanfront. Great Wifi (routers in every room). The staff is very friendly and helpful and the house reef is awesome.

I think an AI for Bonaire is not the best idea. There are many interesting restaurants on the island and trying them is part of the fun. Further, the house reef at Plaza, although good, is a long way from the shop and hauling gear is a PITA. I'd think Divi, Buddy Dive, Sand Dollar or Capt. Don's if you want to stay at a dive lodge on the ocean with a good, easily accessed house reef.

After deciding that we don't want to cook often, we are leaning toward Buddy Dive resort. They offer a very reasonable dive package. Does anyone know if the food is good there?

After deciding that we don't want to cook often, we are leaning toward Buddy Dive resort. They offer a very reasonable dive package. Does anyone know if the food is good there?
I've never heard anyone complain.

I think that's a good choice for doing offsite shore diving with the drivethru tank swap.I have eaten at the barfood place there and it is decent. Have not yet tried Ingridients but it is reported to be good. A great and inexpensive place to eat is Between2Buns just to the south in the strip mall in front of Sand Dollar---a short walk! Breakfast and incredible sandwiches. Open until 5pm.

The breakfasts at Buddy Dive are fine. They have an extensive buffet and a to order omelette/waffle station.
The beach bar, Blennie's is not bad at all. There are some tables right out at the sea wall. I've had sandwiches, burgers, and rotisserie chicken there and not been disappointed. Not a fan of their BBQ night. I thought the food all tasted of lighter fluid but It's certainly a bargain if you are a fan of all you can eat. I much prefer the BBQ food at Bobbejan's IMO, Ingedients is Meh. Pretentious, expensive and mediocre fare. The are many far better places to eat on the island.
Between 2 Buns is very good for breakfast/lunch. I particularly enjoy the crab salad sandwiches at lunch time.

The rooms at Buddy Dive are clean and adequate for a dive lodge. The house reef is superb and the drive through tank station a bonus. Over the years we've stayed at several different places but we keep coming back to Buddy Dive. If you go out boat diving with them, look up one of their DMs, Murphin. He is a gem.

We are going to be a large group (anywhere from 7-15) and are looking for the best accommodations for us. We will be doing mostly shore dives and will need vehicles to either rent or to be included in the price. Any suggestions on where to stay? We would prefer oceanfront.

We did well at Divi Resorts.
Nice shore dives, cooperative dive shop, restaurant on site, walking distance to Krajendijk.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom