Planning to get a rebreather

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sayir

New
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Hi there! I'm looking to invest in a rebreather for deep dives ranging from 80 to 120m , with a focus on exploring caves and wrecks. I need something that offers extended dive times and is portable for travel, along with reliable manufacturer support. I'm leaning towards the JJ-CCR*, but I'd love to hear your thoughts on which rebreather would best suit my needs.

JJ are well worth considering, my best advice would be try a few, there are others but my shortlist based on what’s about and my experience would be​
XCCR, JJ, rEvo, (all very good and easy to travel with) you could try liberty or a Meg but personally everything considered that’s what I would do knowing what I know now and if I was looking for my first CCR.​
Best advice is try before you buy!!​

JJ are well worth considering, my best advice would be try a few, there are others but my shortlist based on what’s about and my experience would be​
XCCR, JJ, rEvo, (all very good and easy to travel with) you could try liberty or a Meg but personally everything considered that’s what I would do knowing what I know now and if I was looking for my first CCR.​
Best advice is try before you buy!!​
What's your thoughts on sidewinder with these requirements.?*

I have to be honest I’ve not used one, but I wouldn’t go SM-CCR unless I did SM anyway, as it happens I’m arranging a SM-CCR test dive day very soon, and that will be an I-Qsub (so basically an XCCR SM) I did consider the Liberty SM but by all accounts the IQ-sub in SM is the better machine.

Horses for courses..I can only say test dive them, different dive styles, even your personal build and height make a difference to how you mesh with a machine, all very personal, the sidewinder maybe superb, but I don’t know, best take advice from people that don’t just dive a particular machine but have dived others so can compare.
There are however certain machines to stay away from , non of those have been named thus far thank goodness. (Darwinian theory seems to have them dealt with)

The KISS Sidewinder/Spirit units have a max 100m depth limit. There may be modifications that allow it to go deeper, but deep is not the focus of this design. However not many units can match it for portability. I can't imagine traveling with a JJ.

The KISS Sidewinder/Spirit units have a max 100m depth limit. There may be modifications that allow it to go deeper, but deep is not the focus of this design. However not many units can match it for portability. I can't imagine traveling with a JJ.
Just curious it’s max depth is 100m but is that according to kiss or training etc?

JJ is easy to travel with, plenty of folks do it in Europe, you just have cylinders waiting at your chosen destination. I would consider a JJ as an all round benchmark.

Just curious it’s max depth is 100m but is that according to kiss or training etc?

JJ is easy to travel with, plenty of folks do it in Europe, you just have cylinders waiting at your chosen destination. I would consider a JJ as an all round benchmark.
KISS says 100 meters. Unless you don't like breathing you should believe them. The 1st stage is IP limited by that depth. You need to modify the regulator to exceed that depth. I don't know what other limits might apply.

The JJ is a chunk. If you think that is portable, then you can go anywhere. With my Kiss Spirit LTE units, I often bring my own O2 cylinder with me, and just rent a dil-out bottle (40cf or whatever) at the destination. The whole thing weighs about 40 pounds with an O2 cylinder and a 6 pound backplate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom