planning to snorkel in St. Lucia, have equipment questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SashaS

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi there,

I am planning a trip to St. Lucia next month, and I'll be snorkeling for the first time. I am actually hoping to snorkel a couple of times -- I'd like to do a day at Jalousie, a day at Anse Chastanet, and perhaps a day at either Smugglers Cove or Pigeon Island.

Here are a few queries I had:

* Is it better to buy equipment or rent it while on the island? I am leaning toward buying my own so that I can be sure it fits properly and I can practice before the trip -- but if anyone thinks that the rental equipment on St. Lucia is particularly good or a good value, please let me know.

* I have been somewhat torn trying to figure out what style of fins are best -- closed foot or open foot? Does anyone have a general opinion and/or have you been to any of the beaches I mentioned and think that one style would be better for those areas? If you use open-foot fins, do you wear them with a sock?

* Is a vest necessary? I have read lots of contradictory advice on this question.

* For anyone who has snorkeled on St. Lucia, do you often wear any sort of light snorkel shirt for sun protection?

* I really want to see a sea turtle -- with this in mind, is there a particular area I should go to?

thank you so much!
Sasha.

Last edited:
A basic kit for snorkeling is pretty cheap so I think you'd be better off buying your own. I prefer open fins and boots so I can walk easily with less risk from treading on anything nasty but st Lucia is pretty sandy so its less of an issue there. We saw turtles at anse chasanet but it always down to luck. You'll definitely want sun protection, a T-shirt will do, a rash vest is better. I wore a 3mm shortie wetsuit but didn't really need it.

I recommend getting your own gear. That way you know it fits. Having ill fitting gear just defeats the purpose. While rental gear may be brand new it may not fit and lead to mask leaks, pressure points and irritating rubbing with fins/booties. Even the style of snorkel might make a difference to you (mouthpiece, mouthpiece angle, length, with or without a purge valve, etc). I personally would like to know whose mouth it's been in (only mine). Packing/carrying snorkel gear shouldn't be much of a problem since there is not a lot of it. And being able to practice with your gear will make you more comfortable so you can concentrate on seeing things - which is the whole point.

If buying I would buy from someone who sells scuba gear as well or at least specializes in snorkel gear. I contrast this against something like Walmart. You will generally get what you pay for.

I dive and rarely snorkel but I use my open foot dive fins with booties for snorkeling. The booties make walking easier. Having a sock with open foot fins might alleviate rubbing. If I were doing beach entries then I would use booties. If using boats then I think it's a personal preference concerning open or closed fins though some ladders are a bit hard on bare feet. I have always used open fins but then I am 6'7" so rental gear of any kind in my size is pretty much nonexistent. If you are of average size then your rental gear options increase. Many people I know use closed foot fins and like them. I tried them once and found it put more stress on my ankles but maybe that’s just me.

I have used a vest once as a requirement and I personally don't think they are necessary but in rougher water maybe they have value. My wife and I are strong swimmers so the vest just slowed us down. You won't really be able to dive down when using them. Many snorkel tour operators in the Caribbean require vests now.

I would definitely wear some sort of t-shirt with a tight weave or some sort of lycra/nylon shirt. I recommend some sort of synthetic material. Cotton tends to smell a bit even if rinsed right away. 15 years ago I snorkeled with a loose weave t-shirt and was sunburned through it. You will get direct and reflected sun even when it's cloudy.

Seeing turtles is going to be up to luck. I have been to St. Lucia twice diving and have yet to see one. Anse Chastanet and that area have possibilities for seeing them.

You might want to consider a lycra skin rather than just a shirt. If you do a lot of snorkeling it will protect the backs of your legs from getting sunburned.

thanks, Damselfish. I actually am now thinking of going with a long-sleeved rash guard and lycra shorts that hit just above the knee. I figured that way I'll be *pretty* protected. I think I've resisted the idea of a full suit because it's going to be pretty hot down there, and I also don't want to deal with something that's too much of a hassle to get in and out of it. Hopefully I will not regret it! I'm stocking up on reef-safe sunscreen as well for my calves....

Hi there,

I am planning a trip to St. Lucia next month, and I'll be snorkeling for the first time. I am actually hoping to snorkel a couple of times -- I'd like to do a day at Jalousie, a day at Anse Chastanet, and perhaps a day at either Smugglers Cove or Pigeon Island.

Here are a few queries I had:

* Is it better to buy equipment or rent it while on the island? I am leaning toward buying my own so that I can be sure it fits properly and I can practice before the trip -- but if anyone thinks that the rental equipment on St. Lucia is particularly good or a good value, please let me know.

* I have been somewhat torn trying to figure out what style of fins are best -- closed foot or open foot? Does anyone have a general opinion and/or have you been to any of the beaches I mentioned and think that one style would be better for those areas? If you use open-foot fins, do you wear them with a sock?

* Is a vest necessary? I have read lots of contradictory advice on this question.

* For anyone who has snorkeled on St. Lucia, do you often wear any sort of light snorkel shirt for sun protection?

* I really want to see a sea turtle -- with this in mind, is there a particular area I should go to?

thank you so much!
Sasha.
Hi Sasha,
You really should get your own gear...rental costs run ridiculously high for the complete garbage they typically put you in...if you see yourself snorkeling even several days, you really should buy. Mask fitting is critical, so make that the most important purchase.
If you can find a Freedive Shop where you live, or at the Island, you are much more likely to get a good deal on gear that works optimally for snorkeling, at a fair price.
The problem with scuba divers giving you advice, is that most either don't snorkel ever, or if they do, it is an afterthough and they try to use their scuba gear for this. No offense intended to my scuba brethren :)

They will suggest open heel fins, which are not optimal for snorkeling in St Lucia. They will suggest masks optimal for scuba diving, but there are better masks made for freedivers, usually selling for less money than the scuba masks. $40 can get you a top quality freedive mask.

Scuba divers tend to use those nasty flexible hose snorkels, because they want to be able to tuck them away when not using ( which is most of the time). You on the otherhand, want a snorkel that does not flop around....If you were a freediver, I would say get a simple J type snorkel, and learn how to expel water out of it. But as you have no experience, the purge or dry snorkel concept will be better for you...make sure it is NOT a flexible hose snorkel.

For fins get a full foot fin....and, unless you are very athletic, something like a Cressi Clio would be fine to begin with... Cressi Clio Full Foot Snorkeling Fins from Divers Direct

If you get to really like snorkeling, or are extremely athletic ( and learn coordination very fast ), you can give the Clio's to a friend, and then buy some Cressi Gara 3000 LD fins ( for novice freedivers or good freedivers planning on 5 to 8 hours of freediving each outing..they are soft for little muscle effort, and far more efficient than "snorkel or scuba fins).

A lycra shirt for the sun would be smart, and know that your legs can burn too, so you may look into a cheap top and bottom --also better choices at a Freedive Shop than at a scuba shop.

A vest is great for new snorkelors who are weak swimmers, and uncomfortable in the water. If you are athletic, one day using a vest and kicking around a lot should be all you need to learn coordination and high comfort level, meaning after that you should not need it. Renting a vest for one day is an option, and another option is renting a float or borrowing a float on a line to tow with you,, and to rest on if needed..torpedo float, or even a float flag with dive flag on it, as long as the float has enough bouyancy to hold about 10 or 15 pounds up...you should be able to rest with this amount.

Sea Turtles? If you snorkel enough, sooner or later you will see one. Don't expect any particular species of marine life on 1 or 2 days. You should have lots of cool things to see in St Lucia.

Regards,
DanV

Bring your own stuff to St. Lucia. Dont be in a hurry they seem to operate sloooooower than any other island on the planet I 've been to. After just returning I would contact Dive fair helen with them you can snorkle, try ? a dive and have a nice lunch on the boat with people doing either of the above. They are the one's I would recomened going with if your at Anse area. Up at the Pigion area its self guided. FYI: at pigion,as soon as it becomes the public beach area pull in to the fence just beside the Sandals resort for some local beach side flavor and food - the fish cake and dumpling for $ 1 ( sundays) Have a blast !!

thank you so much, Dan V and catskill diver!

It sounds like you both are familiar with St. Lucia. Are there any other particular snorkeling sites that you would recommend? I was thinking of just going off the beaches at Jalousie, Anse Chastanet and Pigeon Island (ie., not necessarily joining a boat trip). These choices were inspired by the conventional wisdom of some of the St. Lucia guide books and general travel forums I've been looking at. However, I was surprised to have a St.-Lucia-dive-shop person tell me that the first two of those sites are overrated and not really good ones to go to.... that makes me wonder if I should be looking at joining an excursion somewhere else. However, one of the issues with the dive-shop excursions is that they seem to be more geared toward diving than snorkeling, and I'm under the impression that good diving sites and good snorkeling sites are not necessarily one and the same. Do either of you have any insights into that? I will also get in touch with Dive Fair Helen to see if they have suggestions.

Dan V, just to follow up on your equipment questions, when you describe the flex snorkels as nasty, do you mean nasty in the sense of "they won't stay clean" or in the sense of "they're just not well designed for snorkeling" -- or both?

Also, when you say that the open-heel fins are not necessarily good for St. Lucia, is this because of rocky ground that can cut one's feet? Or is there another reason?

thanks again,
Sasha

thank you so much, Dan V and catskill diver!

It sounds like you both are familiar with St. Lucia. Are there any other particular snorkeling sites that you would recommend? I was thinking of just going off the beaches at Jalousie, Anse Chastanet and Pigeon Island (ie., not necessarily joining a boat trip). These choices were inspired by the conventional wisdom of some of the St. Lucia guide books and general travel forums I've been looking at. However, I was surprised to have a St.-Lucia-dive-shop person tell me that the first two of those sites are overrated and not really good ones to go to.... that makes me wonder if I should be looking at joining an excursion somewhere else. However, one of the issues with the dive-shop excursions is that they seem to be more geared toward diving than snorkeling, and I'm under the impression that good diving sites and good snorkeling sites are not necessarily one and the same. Do either of you have any insights into that? I will also get in touch with Dive Fair Helen to see if they have suggestions.

Dan V, just to follow up on your equipment questions, when you describe the flex snorkels as nasty, do you mean nasty in the sense of "they won't stay clean" or in the sense of "they're just not well designed for snorkeling" -- or both?

Also, when you say that the open-heel fins are not necessarily good for St. Lucia, is this because of rocky ground that can cut one's feet? Or is there another reason?

thanks again,
Sasha
Sasha,
The flex hose snorkel tends to flop around when you are using it..you want the stiffness of a solid/straight tube so that you can have the tube pointing up into the air you want to breathe, not flopping into the water for you to suck in water when you breathe. There is zero "need" for you to compromise the snorkel with the flex hose.
A full foot fin that is made well ( not talking about the cheapie snorkel fins worth $3) will give you better power transfer. Imagine buying a pair of $300 running shoes, giving you great fit and great power transfer for running---and then chopping off the heel so your friends can use your expensive and perfect fitting shoes also...this would be a bad compromise, again one you don't need to make. You wear neoprene socks, 2 or 3mm thickness to prevent chaffing. You don't need "rock boots" on sandy beaches...Even if you needed to walk over a harsh surface prior to diving, you could wear a pair of old shoes for this, and leave them not far from the water when snorkeling.

DanV

the snorkle and dive sights are both VERY close to shore. If you check out a picture of the pitons you see they quickly they go to the sky. The same can be said for the reefs and the drop offs.
Contact Andre @ Dive Fair Helen let him know what you are lookig for in a trip, we were suprised to see more snorklers than divers !?! we changed outfits after frogs at gros islet let us down three days in a row.
As far as self guided : The island is very compartmentalised and a distance by car because of the roads. When we got a rental car at the airport the only thing in the glove box was brake parts and tools - it is an adventure for sure. Sometimes a boat even veeeerrrrryyy slow is still faster than the drive

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom