Planning Trip to Big Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Those salvos are nice lights. Most of the operators will have roughly the equivalent of an 8C cell halogen or 8C cell LED light that they let their divers use. I'm not sure if anyone's charging for the light anymore, pretty much all the divers have them and every company I've been involved with over the years handed them out no charge on the dive.

I did the manta ray dive last Friday night. I did it with manta ray dives (boat named Manta). I was only allowed to dive the one dive due to a dcs event last August, The doctor told me no diving for 6 months but when I told him I already had this dive planned for November he relented and said since it is a shallow dive (25 - 35 feet) I could do it. Since I was only doing one dive I rented their gear except for my mask. $99.00 included gear. They have the 2 tank dive but ... rats. Anyway they said they have an 80% chance of mantas showing up. We entered the water and had 2 follow us over to where the other boats had the "campfire" set up. A ring of lights shining up. Each of us had a light which we were instructed to hold above our heads so the mantas wouldn't wack us. They did a few times anyway. Although they overweight you I suggest you find a nice sized rock and hang on with your other hand (watchout for urchins) because as the big critters fly by at a distance of 1/2 inch they generate some significant current. We had 10 put on a magnificent show and when we went back to the boat 2 hung around doing backrolls on the surface right beside us. All in all a spectacular experience. My daughter said, "Oh my gosh, I feel like I just participated in a discovery channel movie". Boat was very nice and roomy. we had 11 on it but only 4 were divers. The rest snorkeled. They had a cool ring about 6 feet in diameter with lights shooting down and the snorkelers just held that and watched from above. The gear included everything including wetsuit. They were even able to get one that fit me :)

Last edited:
I would recommend coming here in May/June vs Feb. Winters here, the prevailing swell is from the NW, and with your very limited experience you would be dealing with somewhat trickier swell situations on shore dives.

Honestly, with only 10 dives under your belts, I would recommend hiring a guide for the shore stuff. You need to be able to read the wave sets and get some perspective on the conditions. You would also see a lot more critters, etc. and learn all about entering and exiting shore dives, which is knowledge you will use the rest of your life.

I also cannot say enough about doing some boat dives as well. Nearly all the operators here put a guide in the water, who will point out some cool stuff you would otherwise most likely miss. And they do a fine job of giving you a very nice day out on the water, especially new divers.

I bring my 21W salvo every time I do the manta dive. You'll be the belle of the manta ball. All of the mantas will luff you cause you've got the brightest bulb in the circle (except for a couple jerky videographers with massive light rigs). It'll be more more or less silly on every other dive but totally worth it for manta madness.

Go Light Monkey!

I tend to carry my lighthead and battery on the plane. Tends to be easier than packing it since I explain to TSA what it is before it hits the belt. YMMV

Aloha,

-Eric

The Manta Ray night dive (2-tank twilight/night excursion) sounds awsome. Should I go through the hastle of trying to pack my Salvo 21w HID or can I rent a light for that dive? I love my HID but it's a pain in the butt trying to bring it with me.

Norm

My wife & I were in Kona in July and are coming back for two weeks in December. Go here to go to the Kona Section on shorediving.com - I used it as a reference, then met locals who took us around to their favorite spots. It's a very friendly island and if you're kind and respectful to the locals, they treat you the same way in return.

The Manta Dive was, as my wife said, Cirque Du Soleil underwater. An unforgettable experience.

Most of the dive shops are good, and will do a daily rate on tanks (free refills) if you're close enough to return the tanks mid-day after a dive for a fill.

Good luck

Donaldo

10 days to go we can't wait. so we booked the 2 tanker manta dive, is it worth it or just do the 1 tank?

10 days to go we can't wait. so we booked the 2 tanker manta dive, is it worth it or just do the 1 tank?

If you booked a 2-tanker with a dive-op that's going to the spot near the airport, then it's definitely worth it. The spot near the airport is where Garden Eel Cove is. You'll see lots of coral and sea life as you make your way to the sandy bottom where dozens of garden eels reside. :cool2: I'm not sure what the first dive is like if your dive-op is taking you to spot by the Sheriton.:idk:

When I did my dives 6 months ago, the first dive took place while the sun was still out and was to a max depth of about 60'. On our way back to the boat, we swam with 3-4 manta rays that making there way towards the feeding area. There was about a 1 hour SI until the sun set for the manta ray dive. The boat I was on didn't even need to leave its anchor spot for both dives.

+1 for the 2 tank. Plus, you'll have already gotten wet, and be more relaxed for the second dive.

It is in the dark after all...............don't want to find out your weighting is a bit off or something.............

+1 for the 2 tank. Plus, you'll have already gotten wet, and be more relaxed for the second dive.

It is in the dark after all...............don't want to find out your weighting is a bit off or something.............

weighting is good unless big island weights are different ha ha, not packing them, everything else go's.

One of the biggest reasons to do the two tank dive is comfort level on the night dive, if not for you then for the other divers. I used to work for an op that ran 1 tankers... there's a good chance that a quarter to half or more of the boat hasn't done a single dive in months or even years... doing a night dive right out of the chute after a layoff can make for a certain lack of smoothness on that dive. That extra late afternoon dive is well worth it.

On weighting... your dive operator will probably ask you to add 3 or more extra pounds for the night dive. If so, do it, you'll appreciate it once you're down there and may even wish you had a few pounds more. Anyone diving neutral has a good chance of getting blown all over the place if there's any surge.

PS: Maybe a dozen or so mantas on the dive off the airport last night.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom