Playing around at Ginnie for Halloween

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Absolutely hilarious Shawn! Thanks for adding some Halloween fun to the Devil today! My students regret not stopping to put some cookie "treats" into your goodie basket (but they might have been a bit focused on their own "tricks").

Look at that sweet clear viz !!!,,,Nice vid!

Funny--the DPV looks trimmed out ok.

Absolutely hilarious Shawn! Thanks for adding some Halloween fun to the Devil today! My students regret not stopping to put some cookie "treats" into your goodie basket (but they might have been a bit focused on their own "tricks").

Your welcome. Your students seemed a little preoccupied, so it is natural they didn't tip the sign.

Funny--the DPV looks trimmed out ok.

I think it is pretty close, I was in and out of the water using a scale to keep things in check. It is probably one of those things where I will refine it more as I get experience.

I have had Silent Submersion DPVs, both a UV-26, and UV-18. I still have the UV-18. Both of these DPVs came trimmed, weighted and rigged properly from the manufacturer. I experience no discernable buoyancy changes with increased depth with either of these DPVs.

The Blacktip came from the manufacturer far from being either weighted, trimmed or rigged properly for cave diving. After several hours and several immersions I got the Blacktip rigged, weighted and trimmed properly, or at least well enough for cave diving.

There is a short write up I made at This Webpage about my experience getting the Blacktip ready for cave diving.

@Manatee Diver have you fiddled with changing the Blacktips' settings yet?

I have not been able to get it back in the water because I had a tooth extracted and the dentist has told me no diving for 10-14 days.

The Blacktip came from the manufacturer far from being either weighted, trimmed or rigged properly for cave diving. After several hours and several immersions I got the Blacktip rigged, weighted and trimmed properly, or at least well enough for cave diving.

I think mine might have been fairly close, but then I added the vacuum bulkhead.

I brought a scale and a stainless T25 driver, after removing about 8oz of lead shot from the nose I got it slightly negative and slightly tail heavy. I removed one of the 1/4 oz wheel weight, so we will see how close that puts me the next time I decide to bring it out for testing.

@Manatee Diver have you fiddled with changing the Blacktips' settings yet?

I am planning to keep it stock for the class. But I'm not sure there are any settings I would want to change, sort of in the "I don't know, what I don't know phase."

I have not been able to get it back in the water because I had a tooth extracted and the dentist has told me no diving for 10-14 days.

Dental work always sucks, but sucks more when it stops you from getting in the water.

One thing you need to realize is there can be a huge difference in batt weight. (9 ah vs 12 ah)
And the Chinese batteries can be quite abit lighter, for the same size,
Rule of thumb heavier batteries are better batteries.

But I'm not sure there are any settings I would want to change,
The three second delay when "Pulling The Trigger" can be made to go away and change to zero delay.

The three second delay sucks while entering the Ear or going through the Lips because you will need to surge the motor a few times to negotiate those places more efficiently. The three second delay makes entry into the Ear and negotiating the Lips more difficult.

There are several places in our local caves where you will be happier with that delay going away.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom