Please be aware before you enter!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bit of a hijack from the NAUI topic, but ...

A portion of the Shutterfly TOS (for the free service):

"Your Submissions

In the event that you post or upload to the Service, or otherwise submit to or through Shutterfly as part of your use of the Service, any materials including, without limitation, photographs and other images, text, graphics, videos, visuals, sounds, data, files, links and other materials (collectively, "Submissions"), you will retain ownership of such Submissions, and you hereby grant us and our designees a worldwide, non-exclusive, sublicenseable (through multiple tiers), assignable, royalty-free, fully paid-up, perpetual, irrevocable right to use, reproduce, distribute (through multiple tiers), create derivative works of, and publicly display and perform (publicly or otherwise) such Submissions, solely in connection with the Service (including without limitation for purposes of promoting the Service). Please note that, while you retain ownership of your Submissions, any template or layout in which you arrange or organize such Submissions through tools and features made available through Shutterfly are not proprietary to you, and can be used by Shutterfly and others for any purposes. You acknowledge and agree that you have no rights in any such template and/or layout, and such template or layout shall be the sole and exclusive property of Shutterfly. "

They do have a pro gallery that allows you to sell your images for about $100-200/year. I may move to this even though I'm just a photog wannabe...

Let's say you own a house and grant a perpetual right to an unlimited number of people to crash there whenever they want. That house wouldn't be worth much on the rental market, would it? Who would pay rent when they can stay for free? And you wouldn't be able to sell it for much either, would you? That's what RJP is getting at. Yes, you still own it, but you've ceded all the rights that make ownership valuable.

Let's say you own a house and grant a perpetual right to an unlimited number of people to crash there whenever they want. That house wouldn't be worth much on the rental market, would it? Who would pay rent when they can stay for free? And you wouldn't be able to sell it for much either, would you? That's what RJP is getting at. Yes, you still own it, but you've ceded all the rights that make ownership valuable.

If you have no intention of renting, you feel society benefits from not charging rent, and/or you just don't give a &#$@ does it matter?

I'm a programmer by training and trade. I've contributed to a number of FOSS projects (heck I even helped set one up). Other people have been able to leverage the code I've written to make money and I haven't gotten a dime of it. I've made money leveraging other FOSS. And guess what? It doesn't bother me one bit.

If you have no intention of renting, you feel society benefits from not charging rent, and/or you just don't give a &#$@ does it matter?

I'm a programmer by training and trade. I've contributed to a number of FOSS projects (heck I even helped set one up). Other people have been able to leverage the code I've written to make money and I haven't gotten a dime of it. I've made money leveraging other FOSS. And guess what? It doesn't bother me one bit.
I absolutely support your right to give away your labor and your property. (Not being particularly altruistic, I charge as much as I can for mine.) I think the thread was started to make sure people are aware that they are doing just that when they enter this photo contest.

Photography (especially Stock Photography) is a very strange industry, the only one that I know were the goods are never consumed, (well ... rarely, only with a permanent exclusive license) but in fact the supply of goods is ever increasing.

Back
Top Bottom