Please be aware before you enter!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Please be aware before you enter!

Please be aware that this is how the vast majority of photo contests are run.

:shakehead:

Always amazed how many people get up in arms about this. Usually these are the same people that host their pics on Flikr and PhotoBucket and other places where they unknowingly give up their exclusive rights to their photos because they never bothered to read the user agreement.

Don't like the rules? Don't enter. But no need for a tempest in a teapot over it.

Actually, this is not how reputable contests are typically run. Jason, Roger and others in the photographic community (not just underwater) are trying to raise awareness in both photographers and in contest organizers so that things are clear and terms are reasonable.

A rights grab is not in the best interest of the photographic community and it is up to us all to create an atmosphere that respects photographers and encourages the best entries possible.

Of course, anyone can read the rules and enter whatever contest/images they wish.

The point of threads like this and other courses of action are to raise awareness, create discussion and encourage more people to consider their decisions on the small & larger scales, whatever choices they make.

Enclose a letter from your attorney along with your photos. And send your rejects just is case.

Please be aware that this is how the vast majority of photo contests are run.

:shakehead:

Always amazed how many people get up in arms about this. Usually these are the same people that host their pics on Flikr and PhotoBucket and other places where they unknowingly give up their exclusive rights to their photos because they never bothered to read the user agreement.

Don't like the rules? Don't enter. But no need for a tempest in a teapot over it.

I guess you could call me ignorant because I never read the user agreements.

Do Flikr, Photobucket and other sites really list that people give up ownership rights ? That's what Naui is saying and doing. Big difference between exclusivity, image use and ownership.

I took a quick look at the Flikr and Photobucket site and couldn't find the user agreement for image use and ownership. I am sure it's their someplace.

What a cheapass way to get photos. Who are they copying with this hmmmmm. Perhaps one who does the same thing to solicit videos? Could it be? Nahhhhhhh! They'd never take a page from that playbook. Or would they?

Do Flikr, Photobucket and other sites really list that people give up ownership rights ? That's what Naui is saying and doing. Big difference between exclusivity, image use and ownership.

There's precious little difference between giving up ownership and...

"By displaying or publishing ("posting") any Content on or through the Photobucket Services, you hereby grant to Photobucket and other users a non-exclusive, fully paid and royalty-free, worldwide, limited license to use, modify, delete from, add to, publicly perform, publicly display, reproduce and translate such Content, including without limitation distributing part or all of the Site in any media formats through any media channels. Photobucket and/or other Users may copy, print or display publicly available Content outside of the Photobucket Services, including without limitation, via the Site or third party websites or applications (for example, services allowing Users to order prints of Content or t-shirts and similar items containing Content)."

If you host a photo on Photobucket I can download it, make t-shirts, posters, use your photos on my website, in a magazine ad, billboard, or otherwise "publicly perform, display, or reproduce" them without owing you a penny. What good does ownership do if you grant the world royalty-free use?

Naui is saying they will own your photos and no one will be able to use them except Naui.

RJP, I appreciate you pointing out Photobucket and other sites have terms and conditions that I was not aware of. If this is the very common, what sites protect the photographer ?

Naui is saying they will own your photos and no one will be able to use them except Naui.

RJP, I appreciate you pointing out Photobucket and other sites have terms and conditions that I was not aware of. If this is the very common, what sites protect the photographer ?

Most of the major sites are that way. There's really no site that "protects" the photographer from a user agreement standpoint, due to the nature of the internet. Once you post something where someone else can get at it, you've lost control of that image.

Best thing to do if you're posting/hosting is to prominently and intrusively watermark your images.

If this is the very common, what sites protect the photographer ?
Host them yourself at ronscuba.com. It is ridiculously easy and cheap to set up your own site--I spend about $100 a year and I'm sure you can do it cheaper.

Back
Top Bottom