PLEASE: Don't dive without DAN insurance AND the cheapest plan is the Wrong one!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No one said that it was a divine gift but worst case scenario, $70 a year is a lot better than paying 10k for a helicopter ride, chamber, etc.

Why have car insurance or health insurance by that logic? Of course it's not perfect but it can be very good to have.

I don't know if you have a vested interest or are just a fan of DAN's....
Are you addressing me? :confused: I guess that you are, even tho you didn't quote or reference me.

Nope, not a fan at all really; I know of problems with the corporation and suspect others. I just hate to hear about divers, even OW students diving without dive insurance - and sometimes incurring uncovered diving injuries. Looking back at the opening paragraph is my post #1...
I am referencing DAN America's Dive Insurance, not their other brokered coverage plans - or go with Dive Assure if you'd like and live in a state or country where they are licensed to sell, but don't dive without good dive insurance. And do not just go with the cheapest DAN plan as it is a mistake!
I don't know of other, reputable companies offering comparable dive insurance. If you do, why not add that info.

Undercurrent had a good comment on this topic a while ago (paraphrasing):"If you have a claim, remember that you are not dealing with your best buddy, but with a corporation whose number one goal is to maximize its profit".

BTW, I don't think there is any corporation or non-profit that only wants to "survive" - the goal always is to maximize the profit, how much money they have in the bank, etc.

DAN does good things, but I don't think they are some kind of miracle corporation that heals the sick etc etc.
In other posts here and there around SB I have mentioned various issues, like DAN docts telling divers to see a physician for ear injuries but not suggesting they file a claim, or the rare chambers that require advance payment not accepting coverage and how the injured has to ask DAN to wire funds. I have never intended to paint them as saints. My point is virtually all divers need good dive insurance and the cheapest plan (only $10 cheaper than the middle one) is a poor choice.

This isn't so much meant as a "shameless plug" as my observations, although of course, the link does lead to our site. :)

We've just recently begun working with Dive Assure and from my very early impressions, I'm quite impressed with them. They have been very easy to deal with so far and extremely prompt with answers and replies to questions I've had. They offer various programs and seem to have one that works for just about any dive trip or occasion.

I'm not claiming they are better or worse than DAN at all. Over the years I've been treated very well by the folks at DAN, but it is nice to have another option to look into.

Another DAN convert here.....have 3 dive trips planned this winter so I just picked up the family membership and high end insurance package. I spend more then that every month on wine (for health reasons of course) so I figured it was a bargain for the piece of mind.

Does anyone have DAN's Equipment Insurance?

Are there any other Equipment Insurance poicies you would recommend? I know State Farm has a great Valuable Personal Property insurance policy.

Yikes...I have to admit that I dive without DAN....Yes its true... I've never had any insurance w/ DAN...Does Dive Assure count? After comparing the policies, Dive Assure had better coverage for about the same costs. I been w/ them since 2004....
They're part of AIG, so we, the taxpayers own them. At least you'll get something for that Bail out money

Again with the posting before reading...
Yikes...I have to admit that I dive without DAN....Yes its true... I've never had any insurance w/ DAN...Does Dive Assure count? After comparing the policies, Dive Assure had better coverage for about the same costs. I been w/ them since 2004....
They're part of AIG, so we, the taxpayers own them. At least you'll get something for that Bail out money
Quote: Originally Posted by DandyDon
Looking back at the opening paragraph is my post #1...
I am referencing DAN America's Dive Insurance, not their other brokered coverage plans - or go with Dive Assure if you'd like and live in a state or country where they are licensed to sell, but don't dive without good dive insurance. And do not just go with the cheapest DAN plan as it is a mistake!

The thing about DAN to me is that it almost seems to good to be true. What are you really going to get for $70 a year is what comes to my mind, the cost, vs what they promise, seems more like a scam, but I'm not up on insurance premiums.

It's definitely not a scam. I had to use my DAN insurance a few years ago when I got bent. What I didn't know was that my normal insurance actually covered my three chamber rides. DAN insurance is secondary if you have coverage. What I didn't know was that DAN would pick up my what my insurance didn't. My co-pays on three chamber rides and related ER and doctor bills was somewhere around 3-4K. It was nice not to have to pay that.

And the people at DAN from the medical side to the insurance side were fantastic to deal with. You can't beat being able to get a dive medic on the phone at 2:30am to diagnose symptoms, nor can you beat someone telling you not to worry about the paperwork, and that they'll call the hospital and take care of everything. It's the best $70 I've ever spent.

It's definitely not a scam. I had to use my DAN insurance a few years ago when I got bent. What I didn't know was that my normal insurance actually covered my three chamber rides. DAN insurance is secondary if you have coverage. What I didn't know was that DAN would pick up my what my insurance didn't. My co-pays on three chamber rides and related ER and doctor bills was somewhere around 3-4K. It was nice not to have to pay that.
How much was the total bill? Imagine not having either...?!

But that is part of why the coverage is as cheap as it is, as some accident treatments are partially paid by primary insurance and/or trip insurance. When I leave the US, I usually have $100K in medical coverage with TravelSafe.com which seems to probably cover most of my diving. I don't worry about the bills and how much each will pay; I know they'll work that out.

As I said a few times, Dive Assure is a fine choice if they're legal to sell in your state or country. They claim to be primary coverage but I really wonder how that bottom line is settled? But whatever - either/or.

Back
Top Bottom