Plundering The Gulf

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spadefish, sheepshead and triggerfish are good to eat. They are not the "prize" but are quite tasty. Triggers are hard to clean but well worth the effort. And with the limit of 4 on snapper why not take some of the others?
Bill

Actually I don't have anything against eating spadefish or sheepheads. I Just asked if anyone does eat them. Actually they are food and food is my second favorite thing to eat.

The Cobia is magnificent and I bet Wayward Son had no problems eating it. All the talk of lemons and onions and cobia and sheephead and spadefish have flung an enormous craving on me and I think I'll go get a snack.

Tom Smedley:
Actually they are food and food is my second favorite thing to eat.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Tom, you crack me up man!

I shot a bunch of spades 6 huge ones awhile back on a dive where all there was were spades and I had shot some mango snapper and flounder. we fried all 3 kinds of fish keeping them all seperate during the cooking and believe it or not there was no difference in taste of all 3 really just the texture varied slightly. the spades I shot were huge and provided nice size filets. there have been consistently huge spades on my last few dives and they are as easy to get as any fish so why not shoot them better than going home empty handed.

I for one am going to try them.... I have seen some big ones, but didnt shoot because they looked like angelfish. Now that I have read about them and that they were pretty good eating I will be giving them a try.
I find the more I read that for many it has little to do with the fish and lots to do with the machismo of it all, you know, "Look at this monster I shot" attitude.. I for one shoot fish to eat, not to brag about.... Dont get me wrong, I want a nice grouper and hope to shoot an AJ too, but my main goal is good eats..... I know how big mine is, I dont need to prove it... ;-)

Christof

Back
Top Bottom