PM for Schrader valve on Wing/BCD ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JohnN

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
On my last trip, the Schrader valve on my wing inflater decided it was time to start leaking. Fortunately it only happened when I was on the surface (I only use short bursts submerged, but on the surface I tend to hold it down until the wing is full).

Also fortunately, the shop I was renting tanks from could replace it. The big BUT is that this could ruin a boat trip

I try to rinse out the wing bladder at the end of every day, but is there some sort of preventative maintenance I should do?

I am adding a spare to my save-a-dive kit (and a tool to remove the valve)

Probably loose connection...get a tool or multi tool

Nope. It was 'auto-inflating' my wing. . . replacing it solved the problem, but it's one I'd like to avoid going forward

Fortunately, Schrader valves are quite reliable. The only problem I ever experienced was many years ago on a rental BC that had rust in the valve – presumably from improper rinsing.

The only preventive maintenance I’m aware of is what you do – thorough rinsing. When flushing the BC it seems prudent to depress the inflator valve button periodically while draining to get the water through as many nooks and crannies as possible.

If you carry a spare and tool, you’ll be in a tiny minority, but you will be in position to maybe someday be a minor hero. It’s unlikely you’ll need it, but a fellow diver might.

I don't know how interchangeable the valves are among brands.

I don't know how interchangeable the valves are among brands.

If it is actually a Schrader valve, you can take the one out of your spare tire and use it. It, however, can look like a Scharader valve, but be a proprietary valve and you would be out of luck.

Bob
--------------------
I may be old, but I'm not dead yet

A rinse in vinegar can help with mineral deposits.

Nope. It was 'auto-inflating' my wing. . . replacing it solved the problem, but it's one I'd like to avoid going forward

Your wing was auto inflating? The Schrader valve is used on the hose connection from the tank to the power inflator. A failing schrader valve in that location would not lead to an auto inflating wing. The inflate valve on the power inflator is downstream of that. To have an auto inflating wing, it would the the inflation valve and not the Schrader valve.

Your wing was auto inflating? The Schrader valve is used on the hose connection from the tank to the power inflator. A failing schrader valve in that location would not lead to an auto inflating wing. The inflate valve on the power inflator is downstream of that. To have an auto inflating wing, it would the the inflation valve and not the Schrader valve.

+1 to this. You can get the power inflator rebuilt, but when you can buy a whole new unit for $15 it's hardly worth it. You should replace the power inflator AND get a second one for your save a dive kit.

https://www.divegearexpress.com/bcs/bcdparts.shtml#419

Back
Top Bottom