pneumatic or sling speargun

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Breaking News !!!!!!!!!!

I was browsing the JBL site and they offer a model called the Gulf Magnum XHD, this gun has a muzzle without the wings on the side and with the more traditional configuration of a hole in the front.

With this muzzle I should eliminate the said problem and would be able to sling the gun throught the bands with my arm when working the fish out of the spear and into the stringer.

I contacted my local dealer and ordered one of these muzzles for my baby, I can't hardly wait 'till it arrives.

Those of you buying a new gun can go for the Gulf Magnun XHD and don't have to update!!!

The JBL is a good all around beater and has been improved over the years. Like the Biller, it is based on an ancient design dating from about 1960. The major improvement to the JBL is the hardened trigger which lessens wear on the sear when doing a LOT of shooting with heavy bands. However, the tube guns lack versatility for some diving conditions and is basically a bottom gun. Recently, they have offered a 'woodie' but this gun is still fairly heavy and unbalanced because of the aluminum grip. Shafts are available from various sources. The JBL is available on EBay, often at discount.

The Biller evolved from the Australian Sea Hornet. The original Sea Hornet was (is) too fragile to stand up to the abuse that the JBL will tolerate. However, the Biller, also made in America, is greatly improved with hardened trigger and thicker, improved plastics. The fundamental difference from JBL is that Biller specializes in wood guns. They will sell you a metal gun but wood is what they know. They offer several woods. Some of these, like teak, are quite heavy but because of the inertia are extremely accurate even with heavy rubber loads. The most popular, and practical, wood is mahogany because of its buoyancy. This is enhanced by the light weight of the plastic components. The plastic itself is a nylon composite and extremely tough. Because the mahogany guns will float, free divers find it advantageous to use them. The gun, even when equipped with reel, can be set aside to float while the fish is being unhooked and strung. Moreover, there is a large market for Billers from SCUBA divers. This has to do with the fact that a wood gun can be modified to carry extra arrows and to use in various ways for which it was not originally intended. The Billers know this, that free shafters love this gun, and have acted accordingly to serve this market. Replacement parts, including shafts, are reasonably priced and offered by various after market sources. The Biller can be purchased new, on EBay, at discount. The Biller 48 is probably the most versatile for newbies. About reels, I would avoid the Biller reel because it requires the shooting line to be strung underneath. However, Spearfishing Specialties offers the Australian Sea Hornet reel which is very nice.

I find it amusing that all thats mentioned is the longer of the long guns. The 42 is the shortest of long guns and for me has proven to be quite effective at stoning grouper, snapper, makarel, and hog fish.

The Biller 54 and 48 are considered to be medium guns. I agree that the 42 would be OK for doing hole shots. I use a 42 for low visibility conditions. However, I can't recommend it for general, open water use. There is not enough barrel to provide buoyancy, nor enough range for many situations.

Scubaboard is not a spearo board but since the subject was raised (indirectly) I'd like to offer an interpretation and rationale for categorizing rubber band guns.

The benchmark medium sized gun is the Riffe #3 standard and the standard Sea Hornet. These guns have a one meter (39") rubber pull. Therefore, any gun of this length, give or take a few inches, is classified 'medium'. This includes the Biller 48(37"), Biller 54(43") and others. The benchmark BIG gun was/is the old Prodanovich type with 48" pull. This is the right size for average hunting conditions in blue water. The smallest gun which can be classified as 'big' is the Riffe Baja and No Ka Oi with 45" pull. From there, guns go up to about 60" pull. These include a number of specialty guns made in custom shops as well as the Riffe Bluewater. For many years, I used a Sea Hunter Custom which is of this size. It was used around the Coronados Islands and such places with good success. Small guns start in the 33 inch range. This would include the Riffe mid range and hole gun, also the Biller 42 etc (32"). The Riffe 'mid range' is cleverly named for marketing reasons, nobody wants to offer a 'short range'. I have landed black drum up to 65 pounds with the Biller 42 and it has plenty of punch at short range. However, when visibility and shots extend out to 15 feet and beyond it is time to consider something bigger.

I am not very knowledgable concerning pneumatic guns. However, I wish to dispel the notion that these weapons are not powerful. One of the Maorisub guns referred to in the link below was used to land a 500 pound tuna off the coast of Spain. The most powerful Italian guns use a 'Mamba' attachment to the muzzle. This device prevents water from entering the barrel when the gun is cocked, and thus, becomes a pure air rifle with resulting increased arrow speed. Of course, the physical limitations of all air guns may come into play on very deep SCUBA dives. If the link won't work it may be necessary to Google it up.

http://maorisub.com/sito.htm

Band speargun FTW!!

My vote goes to Cressi and the Geronimo Elite. One helluva gun that's just about the most accurate I ever shot.

Check it out.

We made our own long shafted band guns. We mainly used them for daytime snorkeling where it's harder to get close. The islanders could free dive very deep so they normally brought up something nice using those long shafts. When scuba hunting I normally went deep where the fish are larger and not as nervous. There I used a short Arbilet (spelling ?). It was only three feet long with the spear only another 6". Very good trigger and safety. With three bands it had great power and accurate for a close shot. Hit some very nice fish with that gun. I liked the advice that suggests the successful hunter is good with almost any gun. Advenure-Ocean
skipjackchris.png

Back
Top Bottom