Pneumatic vs. band

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What do you do with all the fish? Are you selling it commercially? When I hunt, either above or below, I only take what I can use. I may take something with the intention of giving it to friends or family. You say that you and your buddies do this every weekend. That is a lot of fish.

A Good majority of my serious spear fishing buddies all have or had commercial fishing licenses. It would be a waste of time to put the boat in the water without it. It is all changing now so most of us are dropping out of spearfishing. Once you do it at the level we all did it , it is hard to go back. The price of fuel and the new rules are changing things.

If you relate it to golf it would be like playing as a pro in the PGA and then going back to putt putt golf to go out and only shoot one or two fish.

I am shooting more and more video and digital pictures in other parts of the world like Fiji, Dominica, St. Croix and other places now. On July 4th I fly out with my wife for a week on Catalina Island for some Cold water diving.. Hope to shoot some good video and digital pictures.. Diving in a 7 mil will suck.. t-shirt diving is my kind of diving.

In the morning I am driving about 60 miles North to Homossassa to dive (snorkel) for scallops with my wife, daughter and her boyfriend who I recently certified until July 3rd. IT is a LOT of fun.. I let my wife catch all of them while I do the cleaning. If ANY ONE wants to learn how and where just ask. Great for NON divers and little kids. Most of it is 4-5 feet of water.

When most of us started spearfishing years ago you did not have to have a commercial License to sell fish and their were no limits of any kind.

Because my fish were so much more fresh the market would put my fish in the display window on ice and ship the fish off the big commerical to Resturants.

Later we had to get a Salt Water Product License to sell fish and the later we had to qualify for a Restricted Species Endorsement. Then came the Federal permits which were even harder to get and qualify for. Then they started to limit the amount of fish you get even with the federal permits and then started to shut down months you could fish. This put a good portion of the commercial fisherman who did it for a living out of business.

That is when they started to bring in the "fake" grouper to Florida and the rest of the Country.

I also had a commercial lobster License which I would use mostly in Key West. On a good day with three of us diving we could get 150 to 250 lobster. That may sound like a lot of lobster for some people but I have friends who were much more serious then me and they would average closer to 500 lobster on a good day. Most of them would spent 2 week to a month in the keys spearfishing and catching lobster.

If you have your own boat and spearfish you need to go to Key West. It is a Blast. I would drop one guy off with the tanks to fill in the morning, motor over to the marnina to go fill up with gas and then pick up the man with the tanks. WE would get back about 9-10:00 P.M. Load the fish into the Van and run to the fish market or a resturant to sell the fish or lobster. Then back to the condo to shower and head to Sloppy Joes and eat our first and only meal of the day and party until they close. We would catch about 3 hours of sleep and then do it all over again.. 6 days in a row.

IF you are LUCKY enough to get to Key West make the run down to Rececca Shoals. It is about 60 miles from Key West. I have about 30 rocks down there that come straight up off the bottom to within 15-20 feet of the surface from 80 feet of water. Caves you can drive a bus thru. Each is loaded with big gag and blacks to well over 50 pounds with a few bigger ones. Lots of big mutton, snapper and hogs. Lots of sharks also which is a good sign of a healthy ledge. Danced more then once with the man in gray down there. The rocks are all flat and are 100 to 500 feet across. It is the best spear fishing you will do. The only other place as good I have been to is the middle grounds.

Sometime we would sell the lobster directly to the resturants and sometimes the fish market. For a while I had a tailing permit which allowed us to tail the lobster underwater which helped out a lot. You could put 5 times more lobster into a bag.

Now I no longer have any of my commercial lobster permits so I either take my wife to the keys or to West Palm. In fact we always do the sportsman season the end of July in West Palm. We will do a dive at midnight to about 80 feet, three dives at sunrise to about 100 feet and then two more dives in the afternoon. The same thing the second day. You are allowed 12 per person so in "theory" we could get 24 the first night, 24 in the morning and 24 in the afternoon. Another 48 more the next day.

I would never spearfish off a cattle boat or a six pack unless I ran the trip (bareboat) but diving for lobster with my wife for fun from a small cattle boat is cool. Sure a heck of a lot less work. If I come home with 50-60 lobster it will be cool. Started diving for lobster when I was 10 on a hooker rig in the Keys spending 8 hours a day underwater. Now I am in my 50's.

I am down to my last 6 lobster in my freezer so it must be time to go again.

We never anchor all day when we are spearfishing most of the time and only put one diver on a ledge at at time. If there are 3 of us I will put two divers down at a the same time but on two different ledges. ONCE you dive like this it is so much more fun you will never be able to jump in the water with 3-4 other divers to shoot fish. Plus the diver can follow the fish and go where ever he wants and has far as he wants in any directions with no back tracking. It is the ONLY way to spearfish.

Years ago we wrote the first loran programs in D-Base to sort out all our loran numbers. We would print them in a six mile grid. This showed me where all the ledges were and what directions and distance they were without putting the number into the loran. Converting to GPS is a real pain and the only way to do it right is to find the spot with the loran and then enter the location into the GPS while the bottom machine tells you that you are RIGHT over the spot. With two diver we could dive 30 spots in a day.

Before anyone gets their panties in a knot I was all for most of the changes in the new fish rules..."most" but not all. But then again I did not have to support a wife and kids from fishing.

When they shut down Red Snapper years ago we later saw them in as shallow as 40 feet where I never saw them shallower the 120 feet before. Even saw true blacks in as shallow as 35 feet.

If I go out on a Saturday to Spearfish I would take off work at noon Friday and work very hard and fast NON stop until midnight getting the boat and gear ready. That is not counting the hours I spent Monday thru Thursday. I get up 2 hours before sunrise and within 30 mins I am soaking wet from sweat from loading 100-200 pounds of ice, 10-12 tanks, fishing poles, electronics and much more.

We will run 1.5 to 3 hours off shore depending on our target species and the time of year. We will burn at least a hundred gallons or more of fuel a day. WE will dive at up to 15 spots each and do the last dive at sunset which will be 30-40 miles or more off shore. After the last dive we take a quick solar shower, change into dry cloths, make a rum and coke and make the 1-3 hour run home. We hit the Dock between 10 and midnight if we do not run into bad weather.

NO. I DO NOT do all of that and ONLY shoot one or two fish. IF I just jumped onto a cattle boat then maybe I would be happy with one or two fish.
It would be like flying from Florida to California, paying a $ 450.00 green fee to play at Pebble Beach, teeing off on the first tee and then going home after hitting the ball one time. Without a commercial License I could shoot my limit in 5 mintues on my first dive.

I have over a 1,000 ledges, spring and wrecks from 3 miles off shore to well over 150 miles offshore. I am very careful to only take a few fish from each ledge and never hit the same ledge within 3 months no matter how many fish are there. I have well over 5,000 dives into the Gulf just spearfishing. No matter what happens I will always have the happy memories of hundreds of trips I have taken into the Gulf.

I am retired but as soon as my wife retires we plan on moving on to a 54 foot sailboat and spend the next 15 years sailing around the world diving locations that have NEVER seen a diver before. She also likes to catch sailfish, marlin, dolphin and Tuna..

Yes I am a VERY lucky man.

Safe diving to all.

Hmm been spearfishing here in Florida for about ten years and never carried more than one shaft woth me. I always use a line shaft. I have not seen to many shots taken from 30 feet that hit there mark. I have used both types of guns, and found both to effective, I just think that it is a matter of personal preference. I do find that band guns are easier to load. Most of my grouper fishing is done on ledges in the 70 to 100 foot ranges and it is easier to pull my fish from under the ledge with a line than to climb under and retrieve it free shafting. By the way I use and love my ABbiller 48 stainless gun and dont think that I have spooked to many fish with it.

If that works for you cool.. I know if I did what you did I would shoot MUCH smaller fish and about 90 percent fewer fish.

I will normally shoot 150 pounds or more of just grouper in a day plus a lot of hogs and Mango's. IF I get time I will post some pictures. A favorite one is where I have several grouper and hogs, all I can hold up that I shot in less then 15 minutes on a dive in 78 feet off of Tarpon. I would of ONLY gotten one or two fish if I had a line gun.

NEVER in a million years would I or any the hundreds of my friends who do it ever week and compete ever shoot a line gun for every day shooting grouper on the bottom. WE would alway ONLY free shaft for grouper. Unless it is a very deep dive on a wreck or something when I know I only get ONE shot.

My first year I shot with a metal gun and a line shaft. It was good for small or very dumb fish but not the bigger smarter grouper. What a pain messing with the line. I learned to take the line off but the shaft was way to big and heavy. My favorite shaft is a B&B that was made in a machine shop in St. Pete by a follow diver in another club.

Plus my buddies would shoot 5-10 fish for every one I shot with a line. Did NOT take ME long to catch on how the pro's were doing it.

Over the years we did come up with a neat system that where our Second shaft is a line gun shaft that we shoot as a free shaft. IF you have a Jack or cobia come by it hooks up to the shaft in the loaded gun in about 3 seconds. It is on the market by a friend of mine and sold in most dive shops. They also sell a kit for a second shaft. Also if the hole is so deep you can not reach the end of the shaft you could hook up the line without having the handicap of VERY limit shots and VERY slow shots. I can easily shoot a large grouper, string him and be loaded in just a few seconds. Second you SHOULD know once you go to the bottom you spoke all the fish.. BIG MISTAKE. We shoot the biggest fish from 20 feet above him and then circle around, load and shot the next biggest fish. I swim away because just the Little noise of putting the shaft into the trigger will spoke a BIG grouper.

I did know of one girl who who did shoot that same metal gun like yours but that was almost 20 years ago. She liked it.

If you went to free shaft like the rest of us, swim 30-40 feet above the ledge if vis will allow you, the amount and size of the fish you shoot will increase. If you swim within 5 feet of the bottom you will never see the big fish on a ledge. They will always be 50 feet in front of you our out in the sand. Now and then you will come across a dumb one but 98% of them will be way out of your sight.

I have swam above new divers I have taken out and watch them swim on the bottom while I was 30 feet above them.. Their would be 20 big grouper around him but just out of his sight. I put him on one of my Honey Holes. He came up with NO fish... I asked him why he did not shot anything he said because he saw NO grouper.. YOU never will swimming next to the bottom.

I can hit a golf ball from 20 feet with no problem with my gun. IF you hit the kill spot and do not do a window shot the spot you hit is about that size as I am sure you know. I love it when I am stringing a grouper on the bottom a "dumb" grouper peeks his head over a ledge and is looking at me head on. We all know we "should" wait until they turn but with my gun I can aim between his eyes and even shooting sideways and not down I can nail him 3 out of 4 times from 15 feet or more.

That is a good old gun you have.. and it will not float away.

What ever works for you is cool.. I have been doing it for about 30 years and have had a commercial lic because with out one I could not spearfish since I ccould get my Rec. limit in less then 5 minutes on a good spot. I have shot thousands and thousand of pounds of groupers over the past 30 years and this works for me and all my friends.

Over the years we have made many changes and designs to our guns. Mine is a little longer then yours. I used the standard ends but built a longer stock that is cut a little different so it holds the shaft tight until the last 14 inches of the stock. That is why it shoots so straight. That and I have made thousands and thousands of shots.

Take your gun, relase the shaft and grap the point after you pull it out of the trigger. See how you can wiggle it all around.. mine locks in tight and will not wobble right to left like yours or other guns.

I use the big rubber and buy it either 50 or 100 feet at a time. I shoot with only ONE big band but carry 3 on the gun so I have two back ups. I change the rubbers at least once a month.

I have 5 different guns I shoot with depending on the fish I am after.. I have two line guns. One wooden for fish up to 50 pounds and then a big metal gun with a reel for those 100 pound jacks we shoot during the St. Pete Open and Southern Open.

I am ONLY helping the new shooters who want to be GREAT shooter some day to save them a lot of time..learning what works and does not work.

The real good shooters do not use tanks... They can swim down 80 feet and deeper swim a hundred feet down the ledge and then shoot a fish with out all the noise scuba makes.

Happy Hunting!

Some of these posts are very informative, but others would get ate up on other forums (spearboard)... Thanks for all the info, and no thanks for crazy stories...

This exact discussion gets as heated on Spearboard as the arguments between DIR and non DIR here. They're fun to read but like the Palestinean vs Israeli problem, there seems to be no solution.

The ignorance of this post is so absurd as to warrant really no reply since you cannot possibly have a high enough mental capacity to deal with a discussion on the merits of the topic.
Let me make it simple, When the (what you call Palestinians, since really there is no such group of people and if there were they would BE Israelis) STOP blowing up the people that make up the ONLY civilized society it The Middle East by way of religious zealot, homicide bombers, The Israelis can stop reacting by giving them the ass kicking they so rightfully deserve in return. I’m sure the Israelis would much rather spend their time indulging in the arts and culture
And no I am not Jewish, I’m a catholic the other hated relegoin.

The ignorance of this post is so absurd as to warrant really no reply since you cannot possibly have a high enough mental capacity to deal with a discussion on the merits of the topic.
Let me make it simple, When the (what you call Palestinians, since really there is no such group of people and if there were they would BE Israelis) STOP blowing up the people that make up the ONLY civilized society it The Middle East by way of religious zealot, homicide bombers, The Israelis can stop reacting by giving them the ass kicking they so rightfully deserve in return. I’m sure the Israelis would much rather spend their time indulging in the arts and culture
And no I am not Jewish, I’m a catholic the other hated relegoin.

So, do you use a band gun or a pneumatic? Here's a few fish I shot a couple weeks ago. Triple Crown of snappers, cubera, mutton and a dog. What a day. Have you ever shot a fish? This is a speargun discussion, you know.
189376_1728147895202_1583599415_1637048_7029656_n.jpg

I shot these with a Wong 55 GR hybid with a reel. I don't think a pneumatic has the range that I like when shooting dog, cubera and mutton snappers mid water. We have great vis here and can take longer shots.
I also have a Wong Super Magnum and a Riffe Baja Plus (all three guns are band guns). Real cannons for extra long shots, rigged for breakaway. I'm hoping to get into a wahoo "highway" this coming season. I hit a nice one last year but he tore the cable crimp off my shooting line. Unreal fish....strong. :D

Last edited:
Having owned both pneumatic and band guns, I prefer the band. One point that needs to be driven home is proper handling of both types. Both can be safe if certain precautions are followed. That said, IMO pneumatics require more attention to safety issues. If memory serves me correctly, the accident I mention in this old post involved a pneumatic. CLICK HERE.

---Bob

Your link didn't work for me. But, While we are on the subject of nasty pneumatic accidendts I thought I might dig this one up for grins.

Pneumatic Cocker = Bad Idea -> Graphic - Spearboard Spearfishing Community

Wow.. . I guess I didn't notice how old that original thread was. Feel as though I may have just participated in a group dead horse beating.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom