PNG trip report (short): MV Febrina live-aboard and Walindi Resort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Naturaldog

Registered
Reaction score
Where and when: March 7-15, 2012, two days of land-based diving from the Walindi Resort on Kimbe Bay, Papua New Guinea, followed by five days/six nights aboard the MV Febrina

Getting there and back from New England: My wife and I blew the last of our freq-flier miles on Qantas business class seats, NYC-LAX-Brisbane. We had been trying for years, literally, to get award tickets to Australia using our AA miles -- finally hit the jackpot by calling at 3 AM, eleven months in advance. The American Airlines phone agents report that Qantas releases a couple of seats at a time to their code-share partners once in a while, and these seats are typically snapped up in about 27 seconds. Two nights in Brisbane -- a pleasant-enough city, but with hotel, dining and bar prices that have to be seen to be believed. Sit down at an unremarkable bar, order two beers and that's $18 AUS, thank you very much. And you're not exactly at a sidewalk cafe on the Champs-Elysees -- Brisbane is an ordinary city at best. Then a three-hour flight to Port Moresby on Virgin Australia, followed by a 90-minute hop on an Air Nuigini Dash-8 to Hoskins (beware the Hoskins "airport" -- no toilet facilities of any kind), followed by a 50-minute van ride to the Walindi Resort on Kimbe Bay, on the north shore of PNG's island of New Britain.

The Walindi Resort: 20 comfortable bungalows on the shore, in a teeming rainforest in the middle of nowhere. This is not Club Med or Sandals -- it's a modest, family-run hotel with no frills, for divers and bird watchers only -- there is no beach to speak of, and land-based activities are only for those who truly care. That said, I have great respect for what Walindi's owners have accomplished here against all odds. I can only imagine the challenges involved in developing and operating a resort in this location. Something breaks and there is no Home Depot -- they have to order parts from Japan, the US, AUS, etc. And I got the impression that dealing with local politics requires a pitch-perfect touch and ear. Max, the founder, together with his charming daughter-in-law Emma and his son Shane, pull it off.

As for the land-based diving in Kimbe Bay from Walindi's dock: very good, but be prepared to bang your way out in an aluminum skiff for 30-45 minutes to get to the better dive sites. Very uncomfortable, the same as any skiff diving anywhere in the world, I guess.

The MV Febrina Live-aboard: A thoroughly enjoyable 5 days -- not just a first-rate dive experience but one of our all-time travel highlights, and my wife and I have been traveling worldwide for more than 30 years. The boat itself is on the small side, but very stable (PNG waters tend to be calm anyway, so this isn't much of an issue). Space is organized efficiently -- we never felt crowded or cramped. There are 8 crew members for a maximum of 12 divers. Head divemasters Josie and Digger are gracious and knowledgeable -- both have 10+ years experience in PNG waters (Digger would have 20,000+ dives in his log book, if he kept a log book). The kitchen is excellent and its staff is attentive and friendly but not obsequious. Staterooms are small but comfortable, and all have private bathrooms with shower, including the two single-bed accommodations (room tip for couples: Go for cabin #3 or #4, with perpendicular bunk beds and an all-important porthole to let in some natural light). As for Captain Alan Raabe: He lives up to his legend. He's as mad as a hatter in all the best ways (think: Keith Richards/Keith Moon/Bill Maher, all in one, with integrity and class), but he runs a tight-as-a-drum ship, and I would wager that he knows that sea better than any one alive. And his actions over the years demonstrate his deep commitment to the preservation of the local underwater ecology and the health of the PNG reef system -- he has personally installed more than 300 permanent moorings on the best dive sites to protect reefs from future anchor damage.

Oh, almost forgot, the diving was top-notch. We spent most of our time at Father's Reef -- a four-hour steam from Walindi. We are not experienced divers, so I'll leave to others the detailed technical descriptions, but I am qualified to say this: It was far and away the best diving we have enjoyed to date. Very good visibility despite heavy rains inland, gorgeous hard and soft coral, sharks and barracuda galore, and blizzards of colorful smaller fish of all descriptions. A real treat.

Last edited:
I agree that the prices in Australia and New Zealand are outrageous! Our $ is very weak and we too were shocked at how expensive it was in NZ( we were there November 2011). We heard it was just as bad if not worse in Australia these days. We were there about 5 years ago on our way to Walindi and it was not bad at all. :0(
PNG is a special place to dive and thank you for sharing your trip with us!

Thanks for the report. I am putting the final touches on our trip to PNG for December. Unfortunately we are unable to go on the Febrina, their last trip before Xmas leaves a day before we reach Australia. Since I was also lucky to score First/Business Class tickets from MIA to SYD and returning via Cairns and Guam by booking within minutes of seats being released, there will be little to no chance to change the flights in order to make that Febrina trip :(
After researching Tawali, Tufi and Lissenung, I have decided on Walindi for a 7 night stay. We prefer calm waters, corals and lots of little fish vs large pelagic and ripping currents.

We spent time in Australia in December of 2010 and dove the Ribbon Reefs with Spirit of Freedom. If Walindi diving is anything close to what we experienced there, it will be just fine.

How was your experience at Port Moresby airport? Did you have a tight connection to catch the plane to Hoskins? We do and I am already gathering info in order to try and NOT miss the flight and get stuck there!

Re Port Moresby Airport: Civilized compared to La Guardia...

Yes, we had a tight, same-day connection, but we were lucky with the weather so no problems. But, beware, if your final destination is the Hoskins "airport", and you are supposed to take off in the afternoon, and the weather is bad (which it frequently is in December at that time of day), then there is a non-trivial chance that your flight will be cancelled -- and I do mean "cancelled", not "delayed". Here is the problem: The lone Hoskins runway has no landing lights, so if you can't land in daylight, then you won't go. And if you don't go due to weather (or any other reason, for that matter), then you must try to re-book on a pre-existing flight the next day (or whenever you can) -- the flight you were originally booked on simply disappears without a trace -- this is true whether you're on Air Nuigini or PNG Air. If their Hoskins flights the next day are already full or mostly full, then there will be more would-be passengers than seats, and you may have to do some fancy dancing to get where you're going without further delay. On the bright side, Walindi may be able to help. Walindi's owner, Max, is well known and well respected in that part of the world, and he will use his influence to get you on a plane if at all possible. We had the following experience: the afternoon before we were scheduled to fly from Hoskins back to Port Moresby, all flights were cancelled due to bad weather. Consequently, there were more people who wanted to get on our flight -- the morning after the bad weather -- than there were seats on the plane. Walindi had reconfirmed our seats the day before, but the Hoskins airport "gate" area was a goat rodeo of overbooked passengers (many of whom had to pee, no doubt, as there are no available bathrooms of any description). When we got to the front of the line, there was a delay and much incomprehensible back-and-forth among the agents. Just then Max walked up and stood by our side -- didn't say a word, just stood there (we were lucky that he, too, was traveling to Port Moresby that morning). Two boarding passes instantly appeared and we got on the flight. Maybe we would have gotten on anyway, but we got the distinct impression that Max's timely appearance had something to do with our good fortune.

Yes, try to build some flexibility into your flight scheduling if you're flying into or out of Hoskins -- especially during the December-March rainy season. Good luck and have fun!

Last edited:
Hi, can I ask where you stayed in Brisbane? We are scheduled for Walindi in Aug with one overnight in Brisbane coming and going.

Sorry for the sluggish response -- haven't been on the forum for a while...

Emporium Hotel. Expensive, but everything in Brisbane is expensive. Big rooms. Easy walking distance to plenty of restaurants. Rated #2 in Brisbane on Tripadvisor.

Thanks for the report Naturaldog,

I'm headed to PNG in October for a month (Loloata, Walindi, Febrina) and I'm trying to figure out a travel itinerary. Would you say Hoskins requires an extra travel day so as not run into scheduling conflicts due to the chance of cancelled flights? Also, Malaria pills, any need for these?

Thanks for the report Naturaldog,

I'm headed to PNG in October for a month (Loloata, Walindi, Febrina) and I'm trying to figure out a travel itinerary. Would you say Hoskins requires an extra travel day so as not run into scheduling conflicts due to the chance of cancelled flights? Also, Malaria pills, any need for these?
My flight itinerary 2001 using Continental (now United) from Los Angeles, went to the Guam Hub arriving around 630pm, where I transferred to a flight terminating in Cairns Australia @1130pm. Caught the early morning Air Niugini AM flight into Port Moresby the next day. . .

The current United timetable lists that flight on Sunday & Thursday, from Guam into Cairns as United Flight 98, departs 650pm -arrives 1135pm.

Suggested accommodations to overnight:
Cairns Australia -- Coral Tree Inn
Port Moresby --Airways Hotel

The malarial prophylaxis I use is Doxycycline 100mg once a day starting one to two days before travel, and four weeks continuing after return --however the side-effects are sun sensitivity/sunburn (use a lot of sunscreen); and initial nausea/upset stomach (it helps to take the daily dosage with a simple "cookie/pastry chaser" or other snack to lessen the nausea).

Use DEET repellent as well to keep away the Aedes aegypti mosquito if you will be jungle trekking or overnighting anywhere on land in the PNG subcontinent (I contracted Dengue Fever in Walindi Plantation/New Britain Island in 2001).

Kevrumbo - you must be one unlucky person! Dengue Fever is extremely rare on the North Coast of New Britain (where Walindi is) - there is however Dengue on the South Coast of New Britain.

Did you overnight in Port Moresby?

Not sure how you can tell with absolute certainty that you contracted Dengue at Walindi? Cairns is known to have a Dengue Fever problem and as incubation can take up to 14 days you could have easily contracted the virus there or even in Port Moresby.

I started exhibiting Dengue symptoms in Cairns, and was fully debilitated by the time I reached Palau for the second leg of my big trip to PNG & Palau; spent the entire week in the hospital in Koror being treated by a US Navy Corpsman with IV fluids and acetaminophen, monitoring for signs of more serious hemorrhagic fever & shock syndrome. The whole Oceania region had a major Dengue outbreak at the time (2001), so I could have contracted it anywhere -but most likely in PNG (Walindi or Dickey Doyle's Island).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom