Poaching diver feared dead - Cape Town, South Africa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Poaching is South Africa is a massive problem and crippling to the environment. Overall good result IMO
I can not disagree more. If the crime is that bad, make the punishment and enforcement severe enough to prevent it from happening to begin with.

You have no idea what you are talking about...
There is NO punishment that will stop poachers, they are greedy @$#&*$% that have no respect for any form of life!!!

Rhino poaching is a prime example even with shoot to kill policy on poachers from wildlife agencies and rangers. They just keep coming...

Gotta laugh at aboriginal rights of a van Blerk...
Google would have helped with that.

One less poacher is an excellent outcome. I call BS to the rights of the indigenous hunter claim. They use that excuse all over the world to justify slaughtering protected species in the name of “tradition”.

You have no idea what you are talking about...
There is NO punishment that will stop poachers, they are greedy @$#&*$% that have no respect for any form of life!!!

Rhino poaching is a prime example even with shoot to kill policy on poachers from wildlife agencies and rangers. They just keep coming...
Really? Don't see many rhino when I'm diving but I will be sure to watch out. Obviously he deserved to die for stealing some food. Too many people only see black and White ( no pun) and have trouble with shades of grey.

Obviously he deserved to die for stealing some food

You have no idea what YOU are talking about. This was poaching for resale and profit. Nothing to do with sustenance. You just made that up for dramatic purposes.

That’s where I learned to dive and those guys do it for pure profit. They take out huge quantities regardless of the consequences either to the environment or to themselves.

So basically you are saying (dramatically) that taking fish without a license is the same as killing a rhino for horn? And death is a fair punishment for this? Ok if you say so.

Shellfish and lobster being a food. Don't know if you can eat rhino.

Anything is edible if you are hungry enough. Though not sure if that is applicable here (I doubt it). I don't know what the laws are in South Africa for harvesting and for indigenous groups (i.e., non-whites). The ANC has been in power a long time after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom