• Other condition not listed

Votes: 61 24.3%
  • No condition -- I am completely healthy

Votes: 131 52.2%
  • Coronary Artery disease, untreated or treated

Votes: 1 0.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did get into a vitamin kick and took mega doses of B6...This is coincidental with the neuropothy. Never asked that when I went to the Podiatrist or Nerve Doc

Joe

Excessive B6 (Pyridoxine) ingestion (some say as little as 100 mg/day or more chronically) is one of the most common causes of toxic peripheral neuropathy. Here is the section from the Internal Medicine Review Course -- Medical Knowledge Self Assessment Program (MKSAP) -- on this subject:

"Numerous drugs can cause peripheral neuropathy. Several factors must be present to assume that a particular drug is responsible for an individual case of peripheral neuropathy: (1) the drug is known to cause peripheral neuropathy in animals and humans; (2) the clinical syndrome is consistent with the known effects of the suspected drug; (3) the temporal profile of peripheral neuropathy is consistent with drug exposure, and the dose is appropriate to cause neuropathy; (4) the electrophysiologic findings support involvement of the peripheral nervous system; and (5) the patient improves and the neuropathy stabilizes or improves when the drug is discontinued. In some patients, recovery may be slow and may take several months. With some drugs, the phenomenon of “coasting” occurs, in which there is progression of symptoms after discontinuation of the drug. Clinically, most toxic neuropathies present with distal sensorimotor symptoms and deficits but progress insidiously over weeks or months. Most have electrophysiologic features of an axonal peripheral neuropathy. Table 42 lists common drugs known to cause peripheral neuropathy."

TABLE 42 - Drugs Known to Cause Peripheral Neuropathy
Amiodarone
Chloroquine (mainly myopathy)
Cisplatin (large-fiber ataxic sensory neuropathy)
Dapsone (motor neuropathy, quite different from the cutaneous sensory neuropathy of leprosy)
Disulfiram
Gold
Isoniazid (preventable by vitamin B6 supplements)
Metronidazole (chronic course)
Nitrofurantoin
Perhexiline (demyelinating neuropathy)
Phenytoin (very mild sensory neuropathy after chronic use)
Pyridoxine (³ 200 mg/d, ataxic sensory neuropathy)
Suramin
Paclitaxel (predominantly sensory neuropathy that is dose-dependent)
Thalidomide
Vinca alkaloids

ET
:doctor:

PS: This post is for medical information/education only and should not be construed as medical advice or treatment.

I hope you've stopped the B6 now -- there's a chance the neuropathy will slowly subside if you don't take any more.

that this thread has been here for a year and I am the first diver with coronary artery disease to answer the poll! I was diagnosed 7 years ago with it and have been diving (usually once a year for week, but now I'm on a course to dive much more often) for 8 years.

This poll has been here three years and I'm the 119th healthy person. Whahoo :dazzler1:

Heeheehee, David, I just ran your user title through a translator.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom