Pompano Beach incident - 62 yo diver @ 200'

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Learning is key. Sorry to read about the loss.

Nice Hat Dandy Don:)

That's my neck of the woods. There's no bottom that's 200 feet deep off of the Hillsborough Inlet. Either he was MUCH, MUCH further out or they got the depth wrong.

Lehmann108:
That's my neck of the woods. There's no bottom that's 200 feet deep off of the Hillsborough Inlet. Either he was MUCH, MUCH further out or they got the depth wrong.

The Lowrance is in about 210'.

I'm sure more info will come out on this incident in time.
For now - Food for the SB speculators and arm-chair QB's

My prayers and condolensces to the friends, family and loved ones of this diver...

Lehmann108:

Sky Cliff - 230-foot freighter 200 fsw
Renegade 150-foot freighter 205 fsw
Lowrance 435-foot freighter 210 fsw
Sucre--Johnny Morris 200-foot freighter 215 fsw
Caicos Express 185-foot freighter 240 fsw
Ronald B. Johnson & Corey and Chris 226-foot bulk carrier 260 fsw
Bill Boyd 211-foot freighter 287 fsw
Papa's Reef 170-foot freighter 290 fsw

Most were sunk as part of the artificial reef program, and within 30 minutes of the Hillsboro inlet.

Lehmann108:

Humm...That's my neck of the woods too. As an FYI, there is bottom that deep 15 minutes out of the inlet (by boat, not shore diving :D). And, there are roughly 6 wrecks (that I know of - I am sure there are more) in the 175 to 215fsw - that close in....

VinceDS:
Humm...That's my neck of the woods too. As an FYI, there is bottom that deep 15 minutes out of the inlet (by boat, not shore diving :D). And, there are roughly 6 wrecks (that I know of - I am sure there are more) in the 175 to 215fsw - that close in....

Yes, clearly Lehmann has no clue what he's talking about.

daniel f aleman:
Yep, that's the way we did it in the 1960-70's - but, we were in our 20's, not our 60's...

Well, I for one didn't do dives deeper than about 100 feet when I was in my 20's (during the 1960-70's)... I waited til I was pushing 60 years old in the current decade. Do such depths fairly frequently now to film subjects for a "Deep Ecology" special I'm working on. However, I do NOT recommend it to anyone else. Just teasing ya with this, Daniel.

Could he have been overweighted, lost his weight belt or had a BCD failure that dropped him down to that depth. I guess the latter is unlikely since he shot to the surface which would suggest a BCD that was inflating (perhaps auto inflating).

I just read the post that this diver was both technically skilled and that he passed on. Above speculation was based on the earlier assumption that he was a rec diver rather than tech. My condolences to his family and friends.

Lehmann108:

That is one of the most innacurate statements I have ever read on SB.

More importantly condolences to the friends and family of the diver who was lost last week.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom