Pony Bottle Brackets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ralawrence

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Having searched the various postings I do this with trepidation. PLEASE let us NOT get into a pony bottle pro anc con discussion, agruement or what ever.

I am seeking coment and guidance for mounting my pony. I am not able to sling it so I must go with a bracket. For those of you who have used a bracket, please let me know your thoughts.

I often switch out tanks 2 or 3 times a dive and sometimes use rental tanks so no part of the attachment bracket can be on the tank.

So far I have found the quick draw, x bracket, ponease, tiger, ultimate and super pony tamer bracket systems. The ultimate and quick draw systems appear to not require anything on the bottle.

If any wish to comment about the attachment systems I am all eyes.

Thank you

Russ

I have the quick draw and it works well. No complaints.

Alot of folks at my shop use something similar to the X-Bracket, but it is basically just a peice of Alum. that is bent into a U shop and is hose clamped onto the pony. Thus creating a tank that can be moved from main cylinder to main cylinder just by slipping it over the tank straps.

One comment on the ultimate pony tamer. I used one for about a year until I converted to a BP/W and a slung pony. With a BCD with a single tank strap, it worked well. Knowing at what height the BC will mount the tank, you just find a location where the pony mount will not interfere and set the 1" strap for that height. Get the pony and BC both in place and then fasten the straps. When I went to the BP with 2 tank straps, it was difficult to position the pony where it did not interfere with one of the tank straps. You would need 6" seperation between dual tank straps to fit the bracket.

I use the ponease and it mounts to the cam straps not the tank so you can change tanks all day no problem www.sea-lutions.com/ponease

I have the Northern Diver system which consists of a bracket that the cam straps slip through and a bracket that attaches via metal bands on the pony. The two brackets mate to one another and are held together by a spring-loaded pin in one of them. Easy to put on and remove and nothing attached to the main tank. The brackets are symmetrical as well so you can mount the pony upright or inverted, whichever you prefer.

I haven't tried a lot of different systems but this one works well for me.

If you are going to use a bracket, from a ease of use and bullet proof engineering point of few; the Quick Draw bracket from Ultimate Products http://www.quickdrawbracket.com/productCat84001.ctlg
simply is the best.

It can be handed off under water by pulling 1 pin and is mounted to a your main tank with its own cam band (a ScubaPro style band makes is super easy to remove or put on). Brackets that are mounted to one of your BC/wing bands make it a bit harder to mount your BC.

Now the Quick Draw brackets are way pricey, they are anodized Alu and resist corrosion.

My wife and I both use the Tigergear mounting brackets. The are cnc machined aluminum and are anodized. They attach via the cam band on your bc and are held in place with a 3/16" pin with detent. Very easy to pass off air underwater if required and no hassle if you are swapping tanks all day. At least 10 other people have purchased these brackets after seeing our setup.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom