Pony Bottle Brackets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EvilSlumLord:
I have the Northern Diver system which consists of a bracket that the cam straps slip through and a bracket that attaches via metal bands on the pony. The two brackets mate to one another and are held together by a spring-loaded pin in one of them. Easy to put on and remove and nothing attached to the main tank. The brackets are symmetrical as well so you can mount the pony upright or inverted, whichever you prefer.

I haven't tried a lot of different systems but this one works well for me.

I've seen this system (and the Tigergear) and this one is slick as hell. I don't do the tank mounted pony thing, but if I did, it would certainly be high on my list.

We've tried finding distributors in the US with no luck. Any ideas?

Sounds like the ND mount is similar to the QuickDraw, which I like an awful lot.

X-Bracket works just fine. I've seen the home made ones and they look just fine, too.

I use a Dive Rite Remora QR mount for up to 19cuft bottles. It attaches using either the tank strap of the BCD or another tank strap and large SS hose clamps. I found I prefer to use the additional strap method, so it can be moved to different BCDs easily. As an additional note I found that a standard type camstrap allowed the pony to move more than I was comfortable with. To correct this I found the Apollo tank strap tightened down signnificantly more securely.
For pony tanks larger than 19 cuft I sling the bottle.

one thing that is a pain with most brackets is when you have large/heavy tanks and the boat is rocking hard. it is hard and messy to swap out your primary tank. Not becuase of the pony, but the bracket that holds onto the main main tank gets in the way from sliding though the cam bands cleanly.

I came up with a way to mount a pony on my tank that is simple and easy and costs about $20. I'll try and explain as best I can. I bought a cargo strap and a 4 inch pipe connector and a chalk bag belt with snap buckle from REI. Two slits are made in the 4 inch rubber connector and the cargo strap is fitted on the inside so that the winch and the free end of the strap are outside the connector. This is fitted on the pony bottle and fixed permanently using the screw brackets that came with the connector. Excess strap is trimmed. The chalk bag belt is also looped under the connector. The belt allows you to connect the pony to the tank that is attached to the BC and hold it conveniently while you don the cargo strap around the tank. The cargo strap is threaded around the tank and the winch is used to tighten the system down. Its easy to remove and remount when changing tanks. I've used the set up on around 100 dives. I keep the little winch mechanism oiled with WD40.

PD

Last edited:
I came up with a way to mount a pony on my tank that is simple and easy and costs about $20.

Please post a photo or two. It is worth a thousand words.

Back
Top Bottom