Pony bottle mounting on bcd

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beejw

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
hi yall.

im a bigger guy, bout 5'10, broad shouldered and rather big in the chest.

Im currently wearing a seaquest pro xlt and I need to mount a pony.

now the question is...

Has anyone sucessfuly front/side mounted a pony on a jacket BCD?
by sucessfully i mean it being out of the way and comfortable, not cluttering.

Cheers,

Beej.

I'm not familiar with that particular BCD but I slung an aluminum 40cf tank on the D-rings of my Sherwood Avid BCD and it was very comfortable and convenient. Does your BC have metal d-rings at the left shoulder and left hip?

As DeepBound noted you can clip one off to D-Rings on your shoulder and waist straps if you have them. This is done for slinging deco bottles all the time. With smaller bottles (40cuft and smaller) they ride very nicely.

beejw:
1005just_surfaced_oct05_02.jpg

I haven't done it myself, but it looks possible. It's going to be more cluttered than I'm used to because of the weight pouches, but I don't think it should be a problem so long as you don't try to use the pocket. Definately practice with it before doing a dive you need it on though, and make sure it doesn't interfere with your ability to read your guages, share air, dump weight, etc.

I did it with a Seaquest Pro QCD 4+ on my Oriskany dives in June. Used a 50 cu ft steel faber. Rode fine. My BC is very similar to the XLT.

AL

I dive a SeaQuest Pro-QD 2XL and a 19 cuft pony. I sling it on the right side, one snap link attached to the shoulder d-ring and other attached to the d-ring at the bottom of the BCD. Don't have any issues with the way it rides.

Biggest issue I had was figuring out weight combo necessary to regain proper trim. Now I use 3lbs in left trim pocket to offset weight of pony with reg.

Sure, I tired it many times... But, a Jacket BCD isn't ideal configuration at all because of the front inflation. BCD will squeeze your torso and there is no enough room between your pony and BCD.

Back inflation BCD is much better option.

Just my 2 bar.

pony bottle, BCD??? What do they have to do with technical diving? Please move this to appropriate forum?

Why is this in the technical diving forum?

Hah, WEdiveBC, great minds think alike at the same time!

beejw:
hi yall.

im a bigger guy, bout 5'10, broad shouldered and rather big in the chest.

Im currently wearing a seaquest pro xlt and I need to mount a pony.

now the question is...

Cheers,

Beej.

Despite a few of your fellow SBers whom think your question would be better suited off the technical forum--- :mooner: .... to aswner your question direct..... YES you can sling a pony bottle of any size for your BCD....simply clip it to the upper shoulder d-ring and then to the hip d-ring on the same side....you may have to allow for a bit longer web length on the clips since this is a front inflate style BCD. Good luck. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom