Pony Size & Travel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaSteveT

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a specific question related to pony tank sizes and air travel. I'm not looking to open up another discussion about if ponies are a good idea, or the calculations, or TSA requirements. What I could use advice on is the practical experience of air travel with a 13 vs 19. Either size should be adequate for my depths, but a 19 would be better, and I hear they sling better too which is what I would do. I'm typically pushing weight limits more than volume when I fly, but the 19 seems like it would be bulky in a suitcase. Weight difference is only ~2 pounds, but I'll be shuffling gear to stay under 50 pounds not to mention the airlines at 40. Could anyone offer their experience on traveling with both? I'd grab a 19 for my local diving all day, but I don't want to buy two. I'm leaning towards the 19 and figuring it out, but would be interested if anyone says it's a headache. Thanks!

I’ve had good success flying with a 30 in standard size luggage. With the valve removed it fits perfectly in my regular hard sided suitcase (diagonally). You should have no problem with a 19; I would definitely choose that over the 13.

personally i would not stress about it. if you can fit the 19 and it meets your weight restrictions, take it. if you can only get away with the 13, take it.

That’s helpful, thanks! I think a 19 will fit straight in a carry-on as well, so I could swap weight around for a couple of pounds too. Anyone regret the 19 for flying?

Can't take the tank as carry on. That is a checked item only and must have the valve removed. TSA or their cohorts will consider it a weapon.

A 13 is better than nothing, that's what I travel with. A 19 is better than a 13.

My understanding is that you can pack it either checked or carry on. From the TSA website…

“Except for personal medical oxygen cylinders, you can only carry an EMPTY compressed gas cylinder onboard a plane. To be permitted (in either carry-on or checked baggage), it must be clearly visible to the TSA officer that the cylinder is empty.”

@Boarderguy do you have both and choose to travel with the 13 or do you always pony a 13?

My understanding is that you can pack it either checked or carry on. From the TSA website…

“Except for personal medical oxygen cylinders, you can only carry an EMPTY compressed gas cylinder onboard a plane. To be permitted (in either carry-on or checked baggage), it must be clearly visible to the TSA officer that the cylinder is empty.”

@Boarderguy do you have both and choose to travel with the 13 or do you always pony a 13?
TSA will tell you it's a weapon, a potential club specifically.

I only have a 13, but would take that for weight considerations over a 19. A 19 would be nice, but I've had the 13 for 15 years and it still works for me. I only travel with my wife so my suitcase becomes her overflow and it has to have both our gear...

You can take a tank as carry on with the valve removed - I've done it.

What I did was have the valve off and pack it with a screw cap to keep anything from getting into the tank. When I got close to TSA I took the cap off, went through TSA, then put the cap back on. A 19 fit straight in my carry on (not diagonal).

Have that wording from the TSA website in case you get an agent not familiar with the regulations.

TSA will tell you it's a weapon, a potential club specifically.

You can take a tank as carry on with the valve removed - I've done it.
Seems contradictory, but different TSA agents. Trying to carry it on is risky.

@Boarderguy Have you had a TSA agent tell you your pony was a weapon and not allowed the tank in carry on or is that just something you heard?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom