Pony Tank and Buoyancy/Trim

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm with Dr Bill, I notice a slight roll to my left, where the pony resides, unless I move a little weight from that side to the other. I could live without doing that, but I use a pocket type weight belt and carry weights in various denominations so I can move weight on the fly when I want. It makes it convenient to change weighting when I change tanks and when I do a weight check at the end of a dive. I don't know how other sized bottles would affect me.

Bob
----------------------------------------------
There is no problem that can't be solved with a liberal application of sex, tequila, money, duct tape, or high explosives, not necessarily in that order.

Interesting. I've done all my weighting checks with my pony attached. I recently had a conundrum. If I hand off the pony to another diver will I be underweighted (yep - but only 1.6#). The more important consideration is what if I have to dump my gear (BC) and use the pony to surface? I could grab some of my ditchable weight if I had time. If I didn't or couldn't maybe I'd have to surface feet first while finning down a bit. Maybe I should try this early in a dive from not too deep to see what happens.

Interesting. I've done all my weighting checks with my pony attached. I recently had a conundrum. If I hand off the pony to another diver will I be underweighted (yep - but only 1.6#). The more important consideration is what if I have to dump my gear (BC) and use the pony to surface? I could grab some of my ditchable weight if I had time. If I didn't or couldn't maybe I'd have to surface feet first while finning down a bit. Maybe I should try this early in a dive from not too deep to see what happens.
If you hand off your pony the next step should be a controlled ascent to the surface. You should be properly weighted to begin with, and diving within NDL limits. Gas provided, you should be able to execute a safety stop. What's the problem here?

In overhead diving we practice everything going wrong at once, as in reality it usually does. Does everything really go wrong at once when diving within recreational limits? I'd imagine not, otherwise there'd be many more fatalities.

I applaud your desire to practice potential bail-out situations. Anytime you practice this type of gas switching it should be done in a controlled environment, with a buddy ready to share gas. A rehearsal can quickly turn into an emergency (e.g., dropped regulator, gas turned off, panic).

This is a good reason to have ditchable weights. I am wondering why with a redundant air supply you'd question if you'd have time to dump some weight. In my mind that's what having a pony is all about, time, time to think, time to act. I've been without air @70fsw after a exhale, there's not much time for anything then.

Those of you that sling the pony on the left, doesn't it interfere with using the BC hose? I sling mine on the right for that reason. I hate the F'in thing hanging there bouncing off rocks as I swim along. However for my intended use (mostly to hand off to an OOA diver) slinging is the only way.

This is a good reason to have ditchable weights. I am wondering why with a redundant air supply you'd question if you'd have time to dump some weight. In my mind that's what having a pony is all about, time, time to think, time to act. I've been without air @70fsw after a exhale, there's not much time for anything then.

Those of you that sling the pony on the left, doesn't it interfere with using the BC hose? I sling mine on the right for that reason. I hate the F'in thing hanging there bouncing off rocks as I swim along. However for my intended use (mostly to hand off to an OOA diver) slinging is the only way.

Not for me - I have been taught "Left is Life" - on my right is everything else - lights, dive reel, markers anything that does not save my immediately dangerous to life and health (IDLH) situation.
My primary, BC Hose and Pony are on my left as well as my PDC. Anything else I want to bring goes on my right or in a pocket.
I don't think about anything - If I am in trouble I go to my left - if it is not there - I might be in trouble...
Easy to remember and I depend on that being true every time I dive.

Whenever I carry another bottle, I add it's empty buoyancy weight to my belt. With my 19 pony, I need not add as it's empty buoyancy is 0. This will make me a couple of pounds over my ideal weight without the pony. If I hand off the pony it will make no difference at the end of the dive. My intention is to be able to hold a 10' stop with empty tanks, in case my day has turned to crap.

---------- Post added July 23rd, 2014 at 08:54 PM ----------

The BC hose is higher than the pony and mine doesn't interfere at all, a buddy uses an Air2, which hangs lower than mine, and has no problem.

I can see the problem with it dragging on the bottom where you dive, as we had to stay quite close to the bottom to keep from having it turn into a major drift dive.

Bob
-----------------------
I may be old, but I'm not dead yet.

I usually have a 2.5Kg housed camera in my right hand …. seems to balance me out :)

Only time I had an issue was at Lembeh last year when they gave me a steel pony, I more or less removed my weight belt when I dived with it.

If you hand off your pony the next step should be a controlled ascent to the surface. You should be properly weighted to begin with, and diving within NDL limits. Gas provided, you should be able to execute a safety stop. What's the problem here?

No problem. I realized I didn't know how the hand off would affect my buoyancy and thought I'd better find out before the need occured rather than having to hand it off and find out I was way underweighted.

---------- Post added July 24th, 2014 at 08:19 AM ----------

This is a good reason to have ditchable weights. I am wondering why with a redundant air supply you'd question if you'd have time to dump some weight.

I just love it when people don't read the post and reply to some random thought they have. No where did I say "if I have time to ditch weights". What I'm concerned about is needing to ditch my entire rig (BC, tank, weights) and going to the pony alone to reach the surface. In that case I would be seriously underweighted and would like to grab some weight from my kit (if I had time) but right now I don't know how much I need to grab. If I know that I can stow it so I can easily get the right amount. Try reading.

No problem. I realized I didn't know how the hand off would affect my buoyancy and thought I'd better find out before the need occured rather than having to hand it off and find out I was way underweighted.

---------- Post added July 24th, 2014 at 08:19 AM ----------

I just love it when people don't read the post and reply to some random thought they have. No where did I say "if I have time to ditch weights". What I'm concerned about is needing to ditch my entire rig (BC, tank, weights) and going to the pony alone to reach the surface. In that case I would be seriously underweighted and would like to grab some weight from my kit (if I had time) but right now I don't know how much I need to grab. If I know that I can stow it so I can easily get the right amount. Try reading.

Yeah, happens to me a lot also. I get over it, you will too.

I wear a weight belt with a enough lead to keep me from going uncontrolled without my rig. The rest is in the bc pockets.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom