Pool

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive-aholic:
It's $5/vehicle. They'll give you a map to the park. Just make a right onto South Park Rd and a left onto Desert Tortoise Rd, then drive to the end of Desert Tortoise (it ends in the water).

i found the tortoise rd. location....i'll be scouting the area this coming saturday. how far do you have to swim for a decent depth?

kf6cxf:
i found the tortoise rd. location....i'll be scouting the area this coming saturday. how far do you have to swim for a decent depth?

It all depends on the lake level. Last time I was there (last week), 40 feet was just at the open end of the cove. Inside the cove, 20-30 feet is common. When I'm there, I'm usually just keeping on top of my buoyancy and trim, so I tend to go no deeper than 30 feet since it's more difficult to maintain good buoyancy at the shallower depths. It's actually easier to get to 60 feet or more when the lake level is down. Last year, when it got down about 75 feet, I hit 60 feet almost right away off of a section of Desert Tortoise that's still submerged right now. I don't think you'll see that this year. The rains have kept it from getting that low. In fact, I think it's already rising back up again.

Back
Top Bottom