Poseidon Regulators and 100% O2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rsingler

Scuba Instructor, Tinkerer in Brass
Staff member
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
The XStream service manual goes into O2 cleaning in some detail, and the reg is certified for 100% at 3000 psi.
Yet the XStream's predecessors have been used for accelerated deco with 100% O2 for decades, and the company markets a Viton service kit.

So here's my question: does the absence of ANY use of the word "oxygen" in the current service manuals for the 2960 (Mk1) and 3960 (Mk2) have to do with the European Standard EN 144-3? It this JUST a European liability issue? There is also EN 738-1 for oxygen approval. What did we do before EN 738-1? Of course, a lot of that is for "medical" gasses.

How does an experienced diver reliably continue technical diving with his/her 3960 except on the basis of prior personal safe diving experience with oxygen?
How does a new technical diver satisfy himself that he can oxygen clean his 3960 and dive without an ignition fire?

Does anyone have older documentation on Poseidon regs and O2?
@tbone1004

I realize that is is an old question that comes up again and again, but I was surprised that I couldn't find anything on accelerated deco and Poseidon regs in a Google search except the XStream...

Beings that Oxygen is typically charged and off throughout the dive, the design of the poseidon reg makes it a poor choice of the application regardless of parts compatibility. When the reg gets bumped and purged, you flood the entire first stage with seawater. While it was/still is a good bottom gas reg, it really is a poor choice for deco gases.

So Poseidon regs flood like Atomic when depressurized?

Beings that Oxygen is typically charged and off throughout the dive, the design of the poseidon reg makes it a poor choice of the application regardless of parts compatibility. When the reg gets bumped and purged, you flood the entire first stage with seawater. While it was/still is a good bottom gas reg, it really is a poor choice for deco gases.
Another potential reason for not using Poseidon regs for deco: My LDS manager also told me that, due to their design, Poseidon regs work more efficiently when deep than when shallow. Can anyone corroborate with WOB data?

Another potential reason for not using Poseidon regs for deco: My LDS manager also told me that, due to their design, Poseidon regs work more efficiently when deep than when shallow. Can anyone corroborate with WOB data?
I’ve heard this as well but haven’t noticed Poseidon regs breathing worse in shallow water when tuned properly.

I don’t know that I buy that notion of accidentally purging any model of Poseidon regulator, having used them all over the years — and it is certainly something that I have never experienced. The buttons are all relatively small — the Cyklon almost recessed; and the others can really take some doing to intentionally purge . . .

Well, let's pretend it's for a CCR reg instead of deco. The question remains...

(I got rid of my Apeks for Poseidon XStreams on my JJ)

My understanding is that it is only a liability issue.
Poisedons standpoint is that you cant guarantee that an "dirty" reg gets 100 % o² clean after cleaning it, therefore they have their new o² regs.

When the reg gets bumped and purged, you flood the entire first stage with seawater. While it was/still is a good bottom gas reg, it really is a poor choice for deco gases.

How is this supposed to be happening? Sounds like some ghost story.

How is this supposed to be happening? Sounds like some ghost story.
No, not a ghost story at all. Incredibly common. Poseidons are a downstream second stage. It isn't sealed unless pressurized. That is why you hear air leak for a second when priming them. If they get purged or leak down under water, it isn't sealed anymore and floods the first and second stage.
Up here in cold fresh water, it doesn't hurt the reg much, but the regs freeze up while trying to breathe on a 70' bottle. Once you get shallow enough for oxygen, usually the water is warm enough for it to work, but just not designed for that application.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom