Possible source of CHEAP HID bulbs/ballasts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Check out Trail Tech Lights at Trail Tech Home as they have the parts you might want.

Several DIY HID canister dive lights were designed around the Trail Tech ballast and bulb with varying degrees of success. The Yahoo site is a great source for the info, as a Google HID group.

I'd stay away from the Welch Allen because it's very fragile. The design never was intended for the dive light market but was the only thing available back when H (and a few others) started making HID dive lights.

The Brightstar bulb/ballast is IMO, the only HID to use for a dive light. Incidentally, I think ( but could be wrong ) the Trail Tech uses Brightstar.

Good luck!!

Thanks for all the input, everyone. I think you've answered most of my questions, but if anyone has anything else to add, please let me know.

As I said, I won't be able to start working on this particular project until next month, but I'll post if I have any information to share.

Thanks,

Mike

I have a brightstar ballast and a WA bulb that I am going to put together. I bought both for pretty cheap. I just need to machine the head. I don't have access to a lathe though so I have contacted a local machine shop that works with lots of delrin add I was planning to kind of clone a salvo. If you can find a similar set up perhaps I could get the guy to knock out two. Let me know if you are interested.

Anyway I have had this site bookmarked for a while.
HIDTechnologies - Home Page - HID Lamps, HID Ballasts, Bike Lights, HID Conversion Kits

Bulb and ballast would be about $300. It seems their prices have gone up because when I bookmarked it I remember it being much less.

Also you really should check out the msn divelight group mentioned above. There is a ton on info there.

Hunter

MWGemini,

Great thread. Thanks for nudging the LED advocates back on track.

The proliferation of inexpensive HID components on eBay only shows the trend in lighting. People prefer the color and and brightness of 35w HID. How can you go wrong with 2, yes 2 bulbs and ballasts for $100! Make a 3000 lumen light for you and a friend, or keep the parts as spare.

Someone already mentioned the HID seller in Aust is selling the 35w MR16 bulb to fit maglight converstions. $350 for bulb/ballast/shipping makes this option too costly.

I am using a 35w H3 bulb and small ballast/ignitor combo from eBay for $50 (2 for $100). The housing will incorporate a triple-bulkhead housing/cannister that will house the 3 components (bulb - batteries - ballast/igniter) in individual compartments to restrict flooding.

The batteries are 18650 Li-Ion (3.7V - 2600mAh)

I have found the challenge with auto HID kits revolves around light-head construction. It is easy enough to build a cannister that can house the batteries and the ballast. But fitting the igniter, reflector and bulb and lens in the head requires some creating engineering (the whole reason many of us love DIY).

The reflector I am using is a cheap 4" flashlight from Harbor Freight. Must be metal as plastic will melt. I am currently buying some 4" x 1/4" lens from mcmaster carr. While the 4" reflector provides excellent light efficiency, the pressure at depth grows large and I need to test the lens for cracking at depth. The other option I'm looking at is using car lights.

As was pointed out earlier, I have found both the Yahoo and MSD dive light groups helpful. I have made some nice contacts via PM to help with my build. A MSN member recently posted his "Prawn Punisher" light which utilizes an auto 35W HID kit.

Have you seen the 50W HID kits? hmm

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom